question about gph

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK- I bought a penguine 150 for a 30 gallon tank. It has 150 gph. It is reccommended for 30 gal. should I go bigger. the one w/ 300 gph is reccommended for 75 gal.????

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I heard that you usually get a protein skimmer that is rated for twice the tanks capacity. Maybe that can be applied to this?

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I guess I'll be making a return! Oh well glad I asked now and not after I put it in the tank, which is still not here-- lol

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 30 gal tank with a bio-wheel 350 filter and keeps this water pristine.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually you aim for 10x the turn over. ex. 30 gallon tank x 10 =300gph. that's what you need for the 30 gallon tank. so the larger one is better for your tank.
Carol

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, the bigger one is a lot more $$ but it has 2 filter cartridges, so that is better b/c I can replace them one at a time! Thanks for the advice. ;D

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it has 4 media slots. Mine did. I dont regret buying this filter

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Speaking of filter cartridges- When they get clogged up if you will rinse them in used tank water (instead of replacing them) and put them back in the filter you will not only preserve your beneficial bacteria but they can be used for awhile longer and save you money. When they get really ragged and you have to replace them replace only one at a time. You can also put a piece of the old filter in with the new one for about a week to seed it.
Carol

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats a good tip. Another good tip is not to replace both filters at the same time. Replace one then replace the other one in 2 weeks or longer.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I have great news. I got the bigger Penguin for less than the smaller one. Petco honored an online special and did an exdchange for me!! Now, I just have to make sure that it isn't too big (physically) for the tank. I don't have the tank yet-- ordered on ebay and having trouble with "the guy" in getting it here! (Long story, see another thread.)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom