Question about gouramis

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been trying to figure out what I want to stock my 40 gallon breeder with and I've narrowed it down pretty far, only thing I'm not 100% on is a centerpiece fish. It will be a community tank with a couple kinds of tetras (neons and another, second species is only other thing I'm not sure about), some kuhli loaches and some panda corys. My question is, are there any types of gouramis that would play nice in this tank? I was reading pearl and opaline gouramis can be peaceful, but I want to make sure before I make any decisions. Does anybody have any experience with a similar setup? PS It is planted

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think a couple pearls would be fine. Not sure about the opaline...

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Like a MF pair of pearls? Because that would be pretty cool. WOuld they become too aggressive if they started breeding?

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pearls are very peaceful. Hopefully someone with experience breeding pearls will chime in, but I think they'd still be fine in a 40 gal even when breeding.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
M/F pearls would be ok in that tank size but there's not much temp overlap between them and the neons and the panda corys. You could do cardinal tetras and a warmer water c. aeneus?

From what I understand, it's very difficult for pearls to breed in a community tank. I've had my M/F pearls for 8 months now and they haven't shown an interest but they get along really well with each other and their tankmates.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not look for them to breed, just look pretty and play nice :3
From what I've seen so far doing research I have about 5 degrees (f) leeway among the species, around 75-80 for ideal temp

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Opaline are not at all peaceful from. What ive seen.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is there an empirical unit conversion on that site? I was thinking I was gonna keep it around 76-78. AqAdvisor gives the setup an all clear, but I know thats just a rough guide. I Have some pandas in another tank at around that same temp and they're very healthy and active. I really would love neons, they're so pretty.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There's a conversion calculator at the bottom of this page.

Keeping it at that range would shorten their lifespans. As mentioned, you could do cardinal tetras instead of neons?

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was thinking of a totally different fish when you said cardinals, but yest they work too! If that's a better fit I'm happy to swap em

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
And for a warmer water cory that looks similar to pandas, you could do c. duplicareus or c. adolfoi.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I already have 5 pandas that I was planning on moving into the tank. They're only in a 10 gallon right now and I know they need more space than that. Hrm :\

I'm reading pandas are fine in high 70s

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Other sites are sites are saying 72-79I wish I could get another tank but I'm laid up in bed and have nowhere to put it lolIt seems keeping it at 77ish would be appropriate for all parties involved

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't do opaline/gold/blue in this size tank with these fish. In a bigger tank I'd be fine with it. Pearls will be perfect.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright heres my plan. I have 5 panda corys that I'll be moving to the 40gal until I can get them into a more ideal arrangement, but I won't add any more, I'll add better suited corys. I'll keep the temp as balanced as possible to make everyone feel comfortable. Thanks for the advice guys!

I think I'll go with sterbais or emeralds

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom