Question about gang valves Help

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by AspiringAquarist, Mar 29, 2010.

1. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

A couple of weeks ago I found a totally new air pump I had lying around and I decided to use it. However, I think that it is now broken due to water backflow. When I plug it in, I hear a silent vibrating noise inside (due to the motor?) but no air is coming out of the hole.

The air pump that is connected to my sponge filter is still working fine but the one connected to my airstone is the one that is broken. I was thinking about buying a gang valve so I would only need one airpump.

My question is does the use of a gang valve make the pressure of the air pump less? thanks.

2. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I have an air pump that has 2 outlets, 1 outlet I've had to divide into 2 with a splitter thingy as I need 3 tubes for my 3 way divided tank.

The flow to one tube is less than it is to another on the split outlet, so if you split one flow into two, one may get more airflow than the other. I fixed it by putting a peg onto the tube that had more flow to make it even.

3. OP
    OP
    A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

Are gang valves and T-valves the same thing?

4. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

a t-valve splits your tube two ways, and you have no control over it, a gang valve gives you anywhere from one to five and possibly more if you daisy chain them together, and you can control them to the point where they all have an equalized amount of air output, depending on your needs, id go with the gang valve, more overall control.

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The gang valve is the way to go & how it effects the pumps output really depends on the internal design of the air pump.

6. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

Here's another question about gang valves:

Which is better, the plastic Top Fin or a brass kit?

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I have no problems with the plastic ones but I couldn't tell you what brand they are. Not Top Fin I'm pretty sure though. The brass ones are supposed to be far superior & though I've never used them, they probably are. You can machine metals to much finer tolerances than you can mold plastic to.

8. a

andy123 New Member Member

ok I agree that the gang valves are better if your doing all the air line on one tank or another tank that is like right next or behind the tank that your using the gang valve on. I started running into too many problems running long air lines to reach tanks on the other side of the room and it was hard to keep everything equal. plus it started to look really messy.

what I did for my 4 10 gallon tanks is I used 5 T's and 4 adjustable valves and put one per tank and it's nice because they are about 1 foot apart from each other and I can adjust one tank if I want to or shut one completely off. I'll have to take a pic of it and put it on here so you can see how it was done...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice