Question about Fry?

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by riptide904, Dec 12, 2012.

1. r

riptide904 Valued Member Member

Are black molly fry born solid black? I examined mine today and realized they aren't black, but a tan-ish marbled color. They are 4 days old and both parents are solid black. I wanted to know if it's possible that there was a different father, or a different gene showed up, as all photos of black molly fry appear to be actually black.

2. Daniostetras

Daniostetras Valued Member Member

I'm not sure, but I know that platy fry aren't born with full color.

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

When they are that young they do not show their full colour. I have had guppies and mollies look very different when they are that tiny. You will need to wait a few weeks. And yes, with mollies it is possible she was pregnant several months ago to a different male.

4. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

No, a lot of times they are as you described and darken up as they grow. A lot also have white bellies. I have seen some who even as adults look almost like a scaless fish because of all the tan still mixed in. It is my hunch that this is due to breeding with a varied other molly type. So I guess it is possibly a gene activity. (if that even makes sense lol)...Good luck with your babies!! Would love to see pictures!! :)

5. coacoa8506

coacoa8506 Valued Member Member

They're still developing. Just wait :)

6. o

omarsoaheeb New Member Member

My Baby Dalmatian and black mollies are about 2.5 months old. can i put them into the adults tank

adult's tank having
    3 sword tais(1 male,2 female)
    8 platies
    2 female guppies
    5 mollies

7. coacoa8506

coacoa8506 Valued Member Member

If they're small enough to fit in their mouth, no. JMO

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice