Question about Fry?

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are black molly fry born solid black? I examined mine today and realized they aren't black, but a tan-ish marbled color. They are 4 days old and both parents are solid black. I wanted to know if it's possible that there was a different father, or a different gene showed up, as all photos of black molly fry appear to be actually black.

Yeoy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When they are that young they do not show their full colour. I have had guppies and mollies look very different when they are that tiny. You will need to wait a few weeks. And yes, with mollies it is possible she was pregnant several months ago to a different male.

tunastrack

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, a lot of times they are as you described and darken up as they grow. A lot also have white bellies. I have seen some who even as adults look almost like a scaless fish because of all the tan still mixed in. It is my hunch that this is due to breeding with a varied other molly type. So I guess it is possibly a gene activity. (if that even makes sense lol)...Good luck with your babies!! Would love to see pictures!!

omarsoaheeb

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Baby Dalmatian and black mollies are about 2.5 months old. can i put them into the adults tank

adult's tank having
3 sword tais(1 male,2 female)
8 platies
2 female guppies
5 mollies

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom