Question about frozen food?

Liability
So my divided 10 gallon betta tank is set up now. (I'll make a separate thread to show pictures of it later) The pellets I got are too big to even fit in the mouths of either of my bettas. They're tetrabetta floating minI pellets. I actualy don't remember what brand I had when I had my first betta a few years ago, but I think these are definitely bigger than what I had before.

Anyways. When I added the first betta, which I got a few days before the second, he wasn't interested at all in the pellets, and WOULD go after rehydrated freeze dried bloodworms, but would usually spit them back out. I actually don't know if he ate any of them. So yesterday I added my second betta (neither of them have names yet. Still thinking on it) and while I was at the store I picked up a package of Omega One frozen super carnivore, and decided when I got home that i'd try it out, and thawed a cube in some tank water to divide between all three of my tanks. all the fish went crazy for it, and even the first betta actually ate it. This food is actually three things: mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and bloodworms. The mysis shrimp might be too big for the bettas, i'm not really sure, since he only got one brine shrimp and one bloodworm (the second betta was probably too freaked out by his new tank to eat anything yesterday)

Today both bettas went after a pellet and attempted to eat it, but neither could really manage to swallow it. My question is if it's okay to feed the bettas mainly frozen food, if I keep the diet varied? Or should I try to find smaller pellets and keep the frozen food as a supplement to their diet?

clk89
They should have a varied diet. You could crush the pellets to feed them. You could also use garlic guard and/or plain garlic juice to soak the pellets in to make them more appetizing. I use the minI omega betta food myself which is super tiny.

I actually feed two different kind of pellets the Omega minis I discussed earlier, plus the New Life Spectrum betta pellets.

I only feed frozen food twice a week.

Nwehby
I ended up with small pellets of the garlic stuff myself and was too large for my platy. Had to crush it in a mortar and mashed it up with flake so I give a pinch of that mix every two days then blood worms.

Liability
They should have a varied diet. You could crush the pellets to feed them. You could also use garlic guard and/or plain garlic juice to soak the pellets in to make them more appetizing. I use the minI omega betta food myself which is super tiny.

I actually feed two different kind of pellets the Omega minis I discussed earlier, plus the New Life Spectrum betta pellets.

I only feed frozen food twice a week.

I'll look into getting some smaller pellets then! I actually sprinkled a few tetrabetta pellets into my 40 gallon to see if my mollies would go for them but they also spit them out. I guess I'll just keep them on hand in case I run out of anything else.

Thanks, guys!

Alphonsus
Your suppose to use flakes. There are specially designed food that has higher protein for bettas. The pellets and dired foods are most likely to big for the betta to actually swallow.

thepianoguy
Your suppose to use flakes. There are specially designed food that has higher protein for bettas. The pellets and dired foods are most likely to big for the betta to actually swallow.

actually, I disagree with you, the pellets are specially made for betas too, and I like them better because flakes are harder to swallow.

you can buy those small pellets by omega one, and plus some frozen brine shrimps! that is just very good! vary their diets!

aliray
Try thawing some frozen blood worms a couple of times a week for the bettas. I used to take part of a cube and thaw in RO or tank water and then feed. most bettas go crazy for them. Betta pellets are very small and made for their little mouths. I have never had a betta that would eat flakes and over the years have had 9. Alison

thepianoguy
how do u thaw the frozen foods?

I think that when u just throw some of them the betta is fine, don't really think you have to thaw it for OP...

MarkN1990
I often thaw frozen blood worms in a small cup of tank water and throw them in. Yet to find a fish that doesn't adore them. I also just throw the frozen blocks in when I'm feeling lazy, still go down a treat

Alphonsus
Oh didn't know that. I also feed my bettas freeze dried tubifex worms and sometimes live worms.

thepianoguy
I often thaw frozen blood worms in a small cup of tank water and throw them in. Yet to find a fish that doesn't adore them. I also just throw the frozen blocks in when I'm feeling lazy, still go down a treat

a hole cube? won't that be too much?

Liability
how do u thaw the frozen foods?

I think that when u just throw some of them the betta is fine, don't really think you have to thaw it for OP...

I plan on thawing my cubes anyways because I like to thaw enough for all three of my tanks and then just feed them from a cup.

also for anyone interested I made the thread about the divided tank with pictures of my bettas! It's !

Geoffrey
Since a whole cube is too much for my fish, I usually cut them up.

I like feeding with a turkey baster so when I feed frozen brine shrimp I take one of my cut up cubes, put it in a cup, soak it in some tank water until it's broken up into individual shrimps, then feed with my baster.

Sent from my 6043A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Liability

I like feeding with a turkey baster so when I feed frozen brine shrimp I take one of my cut up cubes, put it in a cup, soak it in some tank water until it's broken up into individual shrimps, then feed with my baster.

this is actually a really good idea because all of the thawed food is usually eaten before it gets to my cories.

(don't worry guys I also have sinking pellets for them, they don't starve xD )

MarkN1990
a hole cube? won't that be too much?

I often throw 2 in for my community tank - they scoff it all up in under a minute

aliray
How much of a cube or more that you feed, depends on the type and number of fish in the tank. For one betta you can just scrape or cut off a small piece of a cube , thaw and feed. Then wrap the rest of the cube in plastic wrap till next time. Alison

clk89

That's how I feed frozen stuff as well, except I use a syringe, that the betta likes to try and fight for shrimp.

Alphonsus
I believe that frozen food you use a syringe. Is that right? I know that for freeze dried I usually put the cube in my guppies tank and they devour it. For the bettas I put the cubes in the other tanks so that it starts to loosen up. I then use a tweezer and grab the cube and out it in my betta tanks. I move the cube around to stimulate them hunting. After they take a bite or two, I move on to another betta.

thepianoguy
what I do, I grab a spoon(or my finger nails) and just get some and put them in!

clk89
I believe that frozen food you use a syringe. Is that right? I know that for freeze dried I usually put the cube in my guppies tank and they devour it. For the bettas I put the cubes in the other tanks so that it starts to loosen up. I then use a tweezer and grab the cube and out it in my betta tanks. I move the cube around to stimulate them hunting. After they take a bite or two, I move on to another betta.

You can use anything really a syringe, baster, finger, spoon, whatever will work. I just happen to have a bunch of individual wrapped syringes from when I had to treat my guinea pigs for mites so that's what I use.

Alphonsus
I love guinea pigs. Although I have gerbils which are also cool.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richardnguyen
Replies
Views
kippielynn
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
  • Question
Replies