Question about flow

Mel254

Reaction score
I have one mystery snail in a 20 gallon, new resident. I switched out the old filter(a top fin, pictured here with that big wide impeller tube) for an aqueon quietflow LED 20 because the snail got stuck in the top fin impeller tube and I didn't have a sponge filter on hand to rig an intake filter over that big tube. I switched over all the media from the topfin to the Aqueon when I switched them out. My question is, is the flow on this Aqueon normally this weak? There is no method on this to adjust it for stronger flow and I know its "quietflow" so just wondering if people have experience with this filter and if it is normal input/output.
Thanks

Attachments

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The GPH might just be lower. You can call the company and ask what the GPH for the particular filter is. I have the Aqueon Quietflow 10 Internal “Shrimp” Filter (not actually shrimp proof) and yes, the flow was weaker than I expected. The filter was 60 GPH and the TopFin 10 I was used to had 90 GPH. You can remove the motor from the filter and test it by itself. It should be able to act as a powerhead. If it’s not working properly, you’ll see it.

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
Crimson_687 said:
The GPH might just be lower. You can call the company and ask what the GPH for the particular filter is. I have the Aqueon Quietflow 10 Internal “Shrimp” Filter (not actually shrimp proof) and yes, the flow was weaker than I expected. The filter was 60 GPH and the TopFin 10 I was used to had 90 GPH. You can remove the motor from the filter and test it by itself. It should be able to act as a powerhead. If it’s not working properly, you’ll see it.
I just looked it up and my old filter was 150 gph and this one is 120 so I guess that explains it. Thanks!

New Threads