Question about fishless cycling

1. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

When cycle is done does water need to be changed?

Also how long it will take? I will use quick start

2. sunshine2012 Member Member

If you go under freshwater fish for beginners you can search for fish less cycle and there are a lot of helpful information on there.

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, you'll want to do a large water change (at least 90%) before adding fish. Usually with a bacteria supplement, the cycle will take about 2-3 weeks but I'm not sure if Quick Start is as effective as TSS+ or Stability.

4. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Thanks so much that's all I wanted to know lol I can't wait to show you guys my new tank setup soon

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can't wait to see it. :)

Oh, and make sure to stick with weekly water changes (at least 30-50%) after you're cycled. Forgot to add that.

6. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

I will do that! I can't wait to get this day over with so I can go tank shopping lol

7. Graphix Well Known Member Member

We're excited to see your tank! Congrats on getting into the hobby you'll have lots of fun :)

8. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

I am excited I remember doing a five gallon tank but all my fish died next day so this time I will do a good job tank is super expensive tho lol

9. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Got the tank now just need to set it up lol

Mom is mad at me tho so I dunno when it will be set up

10. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Done putting together my tank now it just needs water and sand lol

Then next week Betta a heater will go in there

11. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Ok it got deleted so I will start again

[​IMG]

Here is the tank

[​IMG]

This is what I used to cycle the tank

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

13. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

14. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Ammonia test updates will go here

[​IMG]

Here is what I got so far

15. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Ammonia test updates will go here

[​IMG]

Just redid the test again here is current one

I know the pic is not perfect with the light but when I redid it was darker a d had so e slight hint of green on it

16. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Ok Wednesday test [​IMG]

17. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Problem

[​IMG]

As you see I am trying to cycle the tank and tank water is low worried if it will affect filter and if adding new water will affect my ammonia

18. trawrs97 Initiate Member

Still kind of new to the hobby but the research I've done would suggest the following:

I assume the reason your water levels are low is because of evaporation and in that case the Ammonia that was spread out across the whole tank is still in the tank in a higher concentration because there is less water in the tank and the ammonia hasn't gone anywhere. In this case adding water to the tank would simply bring the ammonia levels back to what they were originally. (naturally not factoring in the ammonia that may have been eaten by any bacteria you could have-- but that's why it's important to have a consistent source of ammonia when you cycle and preferably not fish.)

The lack of water in the tank will almost certainly not be good for the filter, however dechlorinating and topping off the water in your tank should not do any harm to your cycle.

Again though, Still kind of new, If anyone else would like to chime in and give confirmation on my understanding. Although I'm relatively certain that this information is accurate.

19. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

My water did not evaporate it got low cause I keep testing it every day lol but yes you are right

20. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

So water is cloudy and not much ammonia happening

That's how my cycling the tank is going