Question About Filters And Pimafix

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by mpq1996, Apr 8, 2017.

1. mpq1996

mpq1996 New Member Member

So a couple of my neon tetras have cotton mouth and i bought pima fix for them. I gave my first dose and took the filters out as instructed. It says to dose for 7 straight days. So my question is, is it ok to go a whole week without the filters in? I have them running without the filter part on, but i know that wont help clean it at all.

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Your cycle will start over again more than likely. Usually medications require carbon to be removed, not the whole filter.

3. OP
    OP
    mpq1996

Im sort of new and in the dark about this, but what is carbon? i just assumed that meant the thing inside the filter

4. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

It is the black stuff inside of your filter media. if you take a pair of scissors and carefully cut one edge of the top of the filter, you can get it out, don't rinse it out with tap water though, you'll kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter. I've never had much luck with Pimafix though, to be honest with you.

5. OP
    OP
    mpq1996

Id used the api fungus cure and it did not work at all, so the people at petsmart said to try it. Thank you for the info though

6. OP
    OP
    mpq1996

Id also had a question for anyone, since ive already treated the entire tank would it be better to try and take the 3 tetras that have it out and treat them seperate, or continue treating entire tank and all the fish?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice