Question about feeding

1. xxbyamomentx Member Member

Is there a downside to leaving in a collard green leaf almost constantly, as long as it's changed twice a day? I wouldn't do it with any high phosphorus veggies, and definitely not fish food or snail jello...but my biggest snail eats from a fresh (not blanched) collard green leaf I've clipped in on and off throughout the entire day. It's keeps him mostly off my plants and he's a voracious plant eater. My nitrite and ammonia levels are still zero, and it's been about 24 hours with the leaf changed every 12. Just want to make sure it isn't harmful, since most people seem to feed only at night.

2. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

As long as the tank parameters are still good, no concern to my knowledge. I almost always have food in my tanks for my inverts for exactly that reason (and I actually think a lot of us with snails do). To my knowledge, the main reason people say not to leave it in is so that the water doesn't get screwed up. If the water isn't showing any concern, no reason to remove it. I don't have direct experience with apples, but my mysteries sometimes even prefer their veggies after longer than 12 hours in the tank.

3. xxbyamomentx Member Member

Awesome, thanks! :) I know if I forget to siphon up a piece of algae wafer or snail jello, sometimes I'll get a 0.2 ammonia reading until it's removed, but so far I haven't noticed anything on the veggies. I'll start leaving it in :)

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

If you use zucchini, you'll probably not want to leave it in for more than 24 hours, or it will be a mess when you try to remove it, but that's the only veggie that I feed regularly that I have really seen any concern with.