question about dwarf gouramis

1. Ursinos Member Member

So, I think my 20 gallon setup is about ready for a bit more stock. Currently I have 6 guppies in there, and looking to get something a bit different to go along with them.

I'm kind of contemplating getting a dwarf gourami to add to the tank, but i'm seeing some information that has me questioning. For example, what is the adult size? (I have found some sites that say 4 inches, some say 2, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting). Another thing I've come across is mention of some disease that the dwarf variety often have that can infect a whole tank rather quickly. Is this really that much of a concern?

I'd really appreciate some input here. I've had blue gouramis in the past (when I was younger and not so careful, or knowledgable, about keeping an aquarium healthy), and the idea of having a dwarf gourami is kind of appealing.

2. azbev Member Member

I have a 20-gallon with 7 Neon Tetra, 8 False Julii Corycats and one Flame Dwarf Gourami. The DG is friendly and full of personality and although the other fish seem a bit intimidated by him (they give him "space", scurry out of the way if he wants the food), he has never bullied or pestered any of them nor has he eaten fry that I've had in the tank, which I was told he would. I think he would get along fine with guppies. All my fish have been in this tank for about 10 months; he's about 2-1/2 inches. As for the Iridovirus, I have also heard that it is endemic in the species and have even read that some people greatly discourage buying DGs so there is no demand so breeders will stop breeding them. i knew nothing about this when I bought my guy, and so far, so good. Perhaps it is a risk to buy them. I dunno. I love mine. Note: I know most people would not put two males in a 20 gallon as they are very territorial and will fight to the death. I just read one account, responding to someone who said their Gouramis got along fine and the writer said his two seemed fine for weeks then one morning they were both so beaten up from fighting neither lived. Moral of the story: yeah they get along until they don't. (I think a 20 gallon may be too small for one male and two females, but I don't know.) Just do your research on DGs and iridovirus and then decide for yourself. "Y'all buy yer ticket n y'all take the ride"..... so the saying goes... P.S. Be sure to check all parameters before adding more fish. Good luck.

3. varmint Member Member

Hi
    One option would be a Honey gourami. Normally grows 2 1/2" and gets along with every other fish in the community.

4. Ursinos Member Member

Thanks for the information! I had only actually planned on getting one for the tank, unless they really need to be kept in groups. However, I just found a reference saying they might not do so well with the amount of water flow in my tank. The options on filters I had, I opted to play it safe and go with the one rated for the 20-30 gallon tank, rather than the one rated for up TO a 20 gallon. It creates quite a current. The guppies love to play in the current, but i'm not sure the DG would do well now.

ah well, will continue trying to figure out what I will add next. I have some time to figure it out, I don't have a quarantine tank set up yet, so I want to get that done before I purchase anymore fish anyway.