Question about decapsulated brine shrimp

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so i've been looking at brine shrimp eggs lately and have come across "regular" and decapsulated eggs, so far i've heard that the eggs are "bleached" to have the hard part of their cyst (shell) removed, leaving them eatable without hatching, now some sites say decapsulated eggs DON'T hatch, but after being soaked for a few minuted to rehydrate them, makes them just as yummy, in fact MORE, and more nutritional, as the "stuff" inside (including the energy required to hatch) is still inside.

others say that after decapsulating the eggs they have a higher rate of hatching, as the hard layer is removed, making it easier to "burst" out.

which is true?.. i can feed decapped eggs without hatching
i can hatch decapped eggs, and or the hatching rate IS increased

if i can feed the eggs them selves OR hatch that would be great, as i could store them indefinitely.. thanks in ADVANCE!'

P.S the jumbled up info on the internet can be just as confusing as the local "fish" stores...

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The way I understand it, you can get a slightly better hatch rate by decapsulating the eggs, but you have to do it just prior to hatching them.

The ones you buy that are already decapsulated will not hatch and are just fed as-is.

I feed decapsulated eggs and use Golden Pearls as a replacement for BBS.

Dennis

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The way I understand it, you can get a slightly better hatch rate by decapsulating the eggs, but you have to do it just prior to hatching them.

The ones you buy that are already decapsulated will not hatch and are just fed as-is.

I feed decapsulated eggs and use Golden Pearls as a replacement for BBS.

Dennis
+2 ...all my fry get the decapsualted eggs and golden pearls also...great source of food for fry and kens fish foods sell them super cheap!

REDKAHUNA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I gave up hatching brine shrimp and now use decapped eggs there great. I kn ow guys who decap before hatching and also others that feed the decap. I feed decapped easier no mess no hassle. LOVE EM

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+2 ...all my fry get the decapsualted eggs and golden pearls also...great source of food for fry and kens fish foods sell them super cheap!
I just checked kens because of your post and you are absolutely right, thanks for posting that. I'm considering using golden pearls over bbs and decap **** as it was meant to replace them and includes brine shrimp in the mix.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have been hatching out brine shrimp for our local LFS......she has dwarf SH...and the decapsulated ones are benificial to them for the protein(its actually ALL they eat)...and I read somewhere where there could be nasty hitchhikers that would also hatch and not be good for the SH...Ive been doing it myself...with (thankfully) great results

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so do they "store" well? some ads said use within ____ amount of month(s)

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so do they "store" well? some ads said use within ____ amount of month(s)
As with any food, they have a shelf life. I typically keep a couple weeks worth out for feeding and the rest in the freezer.

I haven't had any problems keeping it for a year or so using this method.

Dennis

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
freezer up to a year, great!

thanks for everything ...use it for foods if my convicts ever breed...i feel like a horrible fish keeper atm ... i can't get convicts to breed :O!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom