Question about Danios

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all,
I keep about 14 Danios in a community tank (75gal) Of the 14, 5 are pink, 5 are Pearl, 4 are Glow lite. I have little experience with these guys, and while they all hang out in the same part of the tank, Im not sure if I'm seeing normal schooling behavior. I don't see any missing scales or ripped fins but it looks like they spend all day nipping at each other, is this what they do, or are they unhappy with the size of each of their schools. I hear they should be in schools of 6 or more. Thanks in advance

Fishh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not sure. I keep giant danios in my 55 tank and they are extremely aggressive towards each other. But that's just because that's what danios do

Acereaux

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It would be best for them to be in schools of 6 or more but I've heard success stories with one or two less. Also Danio's are an extremely active fish so this could just be their normal behavior. There is a great section on Danio's here on the forum with some extra info if you are interested in some reading, I have never owned Danio's before just a few family members who have so it might be wise to wait for a more experienced member to chime in.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks guys, Ill find that section on Danios and check it out. They seem really happy, hanging out at the top of the tank.

fishlover2710

Reaction score
Hi I have 6 Danios over a year now in 160 ltr tank and they are very happy never saw any picking each other or anything else. But are all your danios them same size. I have one with a really rounded tummy middle area. Do any of yours look like that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom