Help Question about cycling

Thomas369

Reaction score
So, I have been cycling my tank for around 4 weeks now and have been using the API master kit to test every day or two. Until yesterday I had 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I tested it today and it was 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. I want to know why I still have ammonia if it has reached the last stage of cycling? Also, how has it completely skipped the nitrites stage of the cycle?

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thomas369 it sounds to me in my opinion that it's not fully cycled because you've had no nitrites go up and you usually get nitrates go a bit higher besides, unless your lucky and just waiting for ammonia to finish like myself.

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
Tez said:
Thomas369 it sounds to me in my opinion that it's not fully cycled because you've had no nitrites go up and you usually get nitrates go a bit higher besides, unless your lucky and just waiting for ammonia to finish like myself.
Yeah, I thought it was really strange I never got any nitrites as I have been expecting them. I have plants in there which might make a difference but I am not too sure. Would you say it's getting close to being cycled then?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thomas369 said:
Yeah, I thought it was really strange I never got any nitrites as I have been expecting them. I have plants in there which might make a difference but I am not too sure. Would you say it's getting close to being cycled then?
You'll know it's close to getting cycled when you see nitrates but you need the ammonia to reach about 2ppm to convert to nitrites and so on

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thomas369 said:
Your plants have kept the nitrite to what it is, as mine went to 2.0ppm I was worried for my fish as it carried on for over a full week.

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
Blueberrybetta said:
You'll know it's close to getting cycled when you see nitrates but you need the ammonia to reach about 2ppm to convert to nitrites and so on
The highest the ammonia has ever got to was 0.50 and I was told to do a water change as it was toxic to the fish.

Tez said:
Your plants have kept the nitrite to what it is, as mine went to 2.0ppm I was worried for my fish as it carried on for over a full week.
So, it's just some more waiting for it to fully cycle then? Also, on a completely different question, is it possible for the fish I have to eat a full batch of newly birthed fry during the night?

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thomas369 said:
The highest the ammonia has ever got to was 0.50 and I was told to do a water change as it was toxic to the fish.
I've been doing 25% water changes every day since the spikes came and still doing it till the 0.25 ammonia removes itself.

Thomas369 said:
is it possible for the fish I have to eat a full batch of newly birthed fry during the night?
Well i've never had fry in my tank as it's all males but members have mentioned on discussions that certain fish eat young fry.

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
Tez said:
I've been doing 25% water changes every day since the spikes came and still doing it till the 0.25 ammonia removes itself.
How long have you have the 0.25 ammonia?

Tez said:
Well i've never had fry in my tank as it's all males but members have mentioned on discussions that certain fish eat young fry.
Yeah, one of my guppies was pregnant. I checked on them before bed and she was still big but when I got up in the morning she was noticeably smaller. There was no fry hiding anywhere as I checked every place.

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thomas369 said:
How long have you have the 0.25 ammonia?
Well I upgraded to a 60 gallon from a 22 gallon and all filter and water besides ornaments and fish was transported in one go and my first two weeks was brill on the readings ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate 5 and at the very end of the 2nd week the ammonia went to 0.25 plus nitrite 2ppm and two days flowing sent nitrate to 40ppm, nitrate dropped back to 5 and as been like that since but it took me just over a full week to remove that nitrite and still waiting for ammonia to remove from 0.25 and just done my 4th week.

Thomas369 said:
Yeah, one of my guppies was pregnant. I checked on them before bed and she was still big but when I got up in the morning she was noticeably smaller. There was no fry hiding anywhere as I checked every place.
That's weird they can eat their own young but devouring the lot well i'm lost unless your other guppies have had a feed as they're terrible for food, as I have guppies also.

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
Tez said:
Well I upgraded to a 60 gallon from a 22 gallon and all filter and water besides ornaments and fish was transported in one go and my first two weeks was brill on the readings ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate 5 and at the very end of the 2nd week the ammonia went to 0.25 plus nitrite 2ppm and two days flowing sent nitrate to 40ppm, nitrate dropped back to 5 and as been like that since but it took me just over a full week to remove that nitrite and still waiting for ammonia to remove from 0.25 and just done my 4th week.
We're in not so massively different scenarios then. I wish you luck in getting your tank fully cycled again.

Tez said:
That's weird they can eat their own young but devouring the lot well i'm lost unless your other guppies have had a feed as they're terrible for food, as I have guppies also.
I think they did all have a meal on them as she was in the tank with the rest of them. I was waiting for her to give birth then move the fry into a fry net that would have been in the tank.

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thomas369 said:
We're in not so massively different scenarios then. I wish you luck in getting your tank fully cycled again.
Thanks Thomas, tested my ammonia this morning and it was about 0.15 swaying towards yellow more.
Thomas369 said:
I think they did all have a meal on them as she was in the tank with the rest of them. I was waiting for her to give birth then move the fry into a fry net that would have been in the tank.
Sounds like it just a shame you couldn't have moved her before she had them...better look next time

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
Tez said:
Thanks Thomas, tested my ammonia this morning and it was about 0.15 swaying towards yellow more.

Sounds like it just a shame you couldn't have moved her before she had them...better look next time
I woke up today and had 6 fry swimming about. I am not sure if I missed them or she has given birth over multiple nights. 5 of the fry are great and swimming in the fry net, one I am not sure if it will survive. It is not swimming that well and just kinda rests on the bottom.

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thomas369 said:
I woke up today and had 6 fry swimming about. I am not sure if I missed them or she has given birth over multiple nights. 5 of the fry are great and swimming in the fry net, one I am not sure if it will survive. It is not swimming that well and just kinda rests on the bottom.
Most likely hiding because of the other fish but at least you have them secure now..nice one, give the other a chance as it might find it hard adapting.

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
Tez said:
Most likely hiding because of the other fish but at least you have them secure now..nice one, give the other a chance as it might find it hard adapting.
I just fed them some BBS so hopefully it makes it with it's siblings.

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thomas369 said:
I just fed them some BBS so hopefully it makes it with it's siblings.
Just keep an eye on her besides her movements, when my nitrite went high I used to do a full count up of fish each morning and it's made me still doing it, till I know all is clear...it's enough to send you paranoid :rolleyes:

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
Tez said:
Just keep an eye on her besides her movements, when my nitrite went high I used to do a full count up of fish each morning and it's made me still doing it, till I know all is clear...it's enough to send you paranoid :rolleyes:
I will test the water everyday now for sure to make sure everything is what it should be, believe me :joyful:

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thomas369 said:
I will test the water everyday now for sure to make sure everything is what it should be, believe me :joyful:
Well I was doing it daily but this week just gone I went to every 2 days with the ammonia keep showing 0.25, just as long as I keep removing that 25% I know i'm helping my fish.

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
Tez said:
Well I was doing it daily but this week just gone I went to every 2 days with the ammonia keep showing 0.25, just as long as I keep removing that 25% I know i'm helping my fish.
The nitrates have dropped to somewhere between 0 and 5ppm today. I have no idea.

New Threads