Question Question About Cycled Filter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I've purchased my first Discus recently, and want to make sure what I'm doing is correct before I send them to the slaughterhouse. I currently have a group of 2-3 inch Discus in a 20 gallon tank, with a Aquaclear 70. The filter has been cycled for over a year, never without fish since. I added in a second sponge to the filter a few months ago, maximizing filtration capacity. If I were to remove that extra sponge from the filter, toss it in my canister filter that'll be on my brand new display tank, will that be enough BB to keep things stable? Should I wait a few weeks with an Ammonia source? What would be the best course of action in this situation if this wouldn't work out? Thanks!

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
it may be enough if you don't add a bunch of new fish.
I was just intending on putting the fish from QT into it. I would just completely transfer the filter but I have more fish I’m adding to the tank down the road.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I've purchased my first Discus recently, and want to make sure what I'm doing is correct before I send them to the slaughterhouse. I currently have a group of 2-3 inch Discus in a 20 gallon tank, with a Aquaclear 70. The filter has been cycled for over a year, never without fish since. I added in a second sponge to the filter a few months ago, maximizing filtration capacity. If I were to remove that extra sponge from the filter, toss it in my canister filter that'll be on my brand new display tank, will that be enough BB to keep things stable? Should I wait a few weeks with an Ammonia source? What would be the best course of action in this situation if this wouldn't work out? Thanks!
Well how big is your new display tank? Moving media to cycle a new tank is fine as long as the new tank is equal to or smaller than the original. Can't really use 10 gallon tank media and expect it to work instantly in a 75 gallon tank.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So you kept the media cycled for about a year if I understand correctly? Did you ghost feed or dose ammonia?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Should I wait a few weeks with an Ammonia source? What would be the best course of action in this situation if this wouldn't work out? Thanks!
To answer this particular question: I would say Yes. Transfer the sponge media, let it run a few hours, dose the tank with 2ppm ammonia and test the water 24 hours later. If your ammonia and nitrites are both 0, then I'd say you're media alone can handle 3 Discus. However I do suggest, if you add more fish after that, do so slowly and monitor your water parameters closely until you're fully stocked.
Good luck!

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When you move the sponge, replace it, so you have another ready to throw in the canister in a week or so if needed.

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've just always had fish with the filter, it used to be on my 55 gallon, and it was on it whenever I didn't have any fish in QT to up the BB. I always put it on my QT when I have fish stocked in it, that's why it's always been in use. The new tank is a 125 gallon, so would it work to just completely transfer over the filter, put one Discus in for 2 weeks, then put the other? Meanwhile so I have a QT filter, should I buy a 25 gallon little sponge filter and put it in my 55 gallon for a month to cycle? I would have to wait a month to get new fish, but that's alright with me. Or maybe, should I swap out some cycled filter media from my over year used fully stocked canister filter on my 55 gallon? The rated gallons for the canister filter is 125-175 gallon, so what if I switched out some media from there as well?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Regardless of the new tank size, the media you have is established to handle the current bioload. So if you have say 5 discus, just move them all at the same time

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Regardless of the new tank size, the media you have is established to handle the current bioload. So if you have say 5 discus, just move them all at the same time
Okay, that's what I was thinking. The new tank size shouldn't matter as long as I have enough BB for the only fish I'm going to be adding into the 125 gallon. I have no other fish in the 125, so moving over the Media even know it's a larger tank, shouldn't be a problem, right? My only question would be since it's such an established filter, would half the sponges from the filter be sufficient enough? I realize you never get more BB in your filter, only enough to handle the current load. But since it was in a 55 gallon fully stocked for quite some time, up until the adding of these fish, I feel like half the amount of sponge would be enough, or would it just be safe to add the whole filter and just buy another to cycle for the QT?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 53 66.3%

Top Bottom