Question About Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by StukkMojo, Apr 17, 2018.

1. S

StukkMojo New Member Member

Hey guys! I'm cycling a new 40 gallon tank without fish using pure ammonia method and I just had nitrites and nitrates show up over the last couple days. Right now I have 4ppm of ammonia, .25ppm of nitrites and 5ppm of nitrates, should I wait until ammonia drops way low before doing anything else?

2. Mithe

Mithe Valued Member Member

Well, you have to let the existing ammonia be consumed/converted by the bacteria before adding any fish. Essentially, when you add a small does of ammonia, you should see it convert very quickly to nitrite and then to nitrate. If you add ammonia daily and you read 0ppm (Ammonia), 0ppm (Nitrite), and low concentration nitrate....then you should be good to go. Right now with 4/.25 Ammonia/Nitrite ppm, you would risk the health of any fish you add.

3. OP
    OP
    S

StukkMojo New Member Member

Sorry I should have been more specific on my question, definitely not adding fish yet. I meant should I let my ammonia level go all the way to 0ppm before adding more or keeping it around 2ppm or so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice