Question about Cycle (product)

saulPAB

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this product? Its called Cycle and claims to speed up the Nitrogen Cycle of your tank by quite a bit. Its like a consentrated form of all the key bacteria.

I'm currently doing a fishless cycle - adding pure ammonia. I am only on day 3 of the cycle obviously dont have any nitrite readings yet.. but i was wondering if i should attempt using Cycle.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
tom

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard this product isn't very good, as it doesn't realy cycle your tank. I have some of this product but never used it as people told me that it wasn't very good, and didn't work. If I were you I wouldn't waste your money on it. The only thing that is best for cycling you tank is Bio Spira. It can cycle your tank in 1-2 days. (someone correct me if I'm wrong :-[). I've never used Bio Spira myself, but heard great things about it, and I know a lot of people use it.

Where do you live? I live in UK and I know that Bio Spira isn't available here, but I think a lot of other countries do have it.

If your adding pure ammonia every day, your tank shouldn't take long to cycle. I cycled my 7.5gal in just over a week with pure ammonia.

Gwenz

saulPAB

Reaction score
Gwenz said:
I've heard this product isn't very good, as it doesn't realy cycle your tank. I have some of this product but never used it as people told me that it wasn't very good, and didn't work. If I were you I wouldn't waste your money on it. The only thing that is best for cycling you tank is Bio Spira. It can cycle your tank in 1-2 days. (someone correct me if I'm wrong :-[). I've never used Bio Spira myself, but heard great things about it, and I know a lot of people use it.

Where do you live? I live in UK and I know that Bio Spira isn't available here, but I think a lot of other countries do have it.

If your adding pure ammonia every day, your tank shouldn't take long to cycle. I cycled my 7.5gal in just over a week with pure ammonia.

Gwenz
Cool thanks for the reply Gwenz! I live in the US (florida), so i'll check out Bio Spira. I have to head back to Petco tonight to return an air pump anyway. Accidently bought a 10gallon pump for a 20gallon tank, and my air stone wont work unless its floating halfway in the water lol .

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! My experience with Cycle was that it did nothing for my tank and was a waste of my money. Gwenz is correct in that bio spira is the only product that has the true bacteria found in a cycled tank. All the other products may help speed up the cycling process, but they don't add the actual bacteria needed for that cycled tank. Make sure if you purchase bio spira, that you get it from a reputable dealer who has handled it properly. I would not buy it if it is not refrigerated. It's not cheap, and you don't want to go home with a $20 package of dead bacteria!

P.S. Where in Florida are you from? I'm in Tallahassee!

saulPAB

Reaction score
Gunnie said:
Welcome to FishLore!  My experience with Cycle was that it did nothing for my tank and was a waste of my money.  Gwenz is correct in that bio spira is the only product that has the true bacteria found in a cycled tank.  All the other products may help speed up the cycling process, but they don't add the actual bacteria needed for that cycled tank.  Make sure if you purchase bio spira, that you get it from a reputable dealer who has handled it properly.  I would not buy it if it is not refrigerated.  It's not cheap, and you don't want to go home with a $20 package of dead bacteria! 

P.S.  Where in Florida are you from?  I'm in Tallahassee!   
Wow thanks for the info! I'm in Orlando

petco here i come!

saulPAB

Reaction score
well Petco didn't carry Bio Spira. so i'll have to look into petsmart(or actual aquarium specific store).. if there is one close by .
i bought a few more fake plants and a cool rock formation with a hole in it. i think i'm supposed to clean the rock in a specific way? or put it in a quarentine tank for awhile? some info on that would be appreciated even if it is a little off topic

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you bought the rock at the aquarium store you can just rinse the dust off and use it. If it came from out side it needs to be boiled and scrubbed if boiling be careful and cool it slowly, it could explode if dropped in to cooler water.
Carol

saulPAB

Reaction score
thanks Butterfly

i got impatient last night and just ended up boiling the rock anyway (the water turned murky). i let it cool slowly and rinsed it really good .. its in my aquarium now .

my tank is pretty cloudy now.. white cloudy. so i figure i'm just going through the new tank syndrome and having a bacteria bloom.

time to look up petsmart or local fish stores for bio spira hehe

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bio Spira can be hard to find. I could never find it here when I needed it, and had to order online, but that was before it became as well known. Check with your mom and pop stores in your area. You are better off supporting them than your chains anyway!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom