Question about bubble nests.

1. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

A bit of background information about my male crowntail. Without getting into the entire story, he started his life (with me) in a small, unfiltered, heated bowl for a few months, moved into a 10 gallon for a few months, then into a 55 gallon for one month, and now he's back in the 10 gallon. The poor thing has been a real trooper, tolerating all my mistakes (such as putting him in a tiny bowl and dealing with high concentrations of ammonia, and making him share the 10 gallon with a BN pleco, a pictus catfish and a female betta). I felt badly about moving him back into the 10 gallon, but I don't want any altercations between him and the fish I plan to stock it with (currently three platys, soon to include more platys, tetras, and angel, maybe a gourami or two, and cory cats). He's not the most laid-back of bettas, and I didn't want anyone nipping at his fins, either.

Anyway, a few days after moving him back to the 10 gallon, he started building a bubble nest. He's never really built them before (or at least I couldn't definitively say that bubbles in the tank were from him), but this one is pretty large (I base this on...nothing, really; it's about 3 inches square) and there are a few smaller ones in other corners.

I've heard before that bettas only build bubble nests if they're healthy and happy. Is this true? I'm not asking about breeding; that is a whole can of worms I don't care to open at this time :) Do I need to do anything with it? IE will it mess with the water quality?
  2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

The bubble nest is a sign he is happy, and it shouldn't bother your water, just let him blow bubbles to his hearts content.

3. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Excellent! I'm glad to know, there's a soft spot in my heart for him since he put up with all my uneducation. Thank you, once again, for answering my questions. There should probably just be an "ask Lexi" forum. :)
  4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Lol, I just spend to much time on here. Plus you happen to keep or plan on keeping the same fish I have or have had.
    When Jack, one of our bettas builds a bubble nest, it sometimes covers half of his 5 gallon tank.

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, I completely agree with Lexi. Bubble nests are a sure sign of a happy betta. ;)
  6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Well, unhappy fish don't tend to get in"the mood" lol.
  7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

LOL! Yeah I would say I have to agree with you. I have a picture of one of my baby bettas blowing a nest somewhere around here. I'll have to look for it.

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

If I can ask an unrelated question (so I don't have to start another thread) it true that bettas need to be fed betta-specific food? I was going to look into getting NLS since everyone seems to prefer it, but I'm wondering if I should leave him on betta food. (I always kind of assumed that the picture of the fish on the front had little to do with the food inside, with a few exceptions, like goldfish and cichlids I think.)
  9. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

You can feed bettas any community food, really. Betta food generally has a slightly higher protein content than your average community food. Also, betta food tends to be smaller, since it's designed for bettas' smaller mouths. You do know that NLS makes betta food, right? I have my bettas (and juvenile GBR lol) on it and they go nuts for it.
  10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Really! Too bad they're so expensive. At least I think all the fish I plan on stocking will be able to eat the variety for small fish (for awhile anyway). Thanks!

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

The NLS Thera +A comes in a 1 mm size, this is the same size as betta pellets. I feed it to all my fish including my bettas. I do supplement with blood worms or brine shrimp once a week for a nice little treat for the bettas.
  12. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I will probably feed him the same food as everyone else, at least for awhile anyway. I'm assuming you mean frozen? I have freeze-dried bloodworms but I hear I shouldn't feed them.