Question about blood red parrot fish?I am going to be setting up a 10 ga

1. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I am setting up a 10 gal heated filtered fish tank and I think those parrot fish are adorable. Can you keep just one of those in a planted 10 gal as the only Fish? ... Thank you.... Alison:;hi1

I guess I should check the keys I hit before I post, Sorry about that

2. Anthony10 Member Member

10 gallons will be small for a blood parrot, I believe just one needs a 30-55gallon as they can exceed 8 inches long!

-Anthony

3. Prep8611 Member Member

30 is the smallest required although they get huge and mine are in a 75. They are pigs like gold fish. One in a ten gallon would die pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I agree a 10 gallon might be to small for a blood parrot.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore!!

Blood Parrots do have cute faces but the ones you see at the store are babies.

Take a look at Aquarist48's thread where he describes his and imagine one in a 20 x 10 x 12 tank.
    Link to thread --> https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist48/105987-buddy.html

I know it's hard to imagine the cute little fish you see growing so large. :)

6. eds48 Member Member

A parrot in a 10 gallon is definitely too small. In fact not with just the length but with the width as well they need room to turn around they can get fat. My baby parrot that I got in january was only 1 inch and now he is already almost 4 inches. I have 3 in a 55 gallon which is temporary, but they are soon to be moved to my 75 gallon. Along with that the bigger the tank definitely is better for them since they have some pretty big bio loads and are messy eaters. They will need a lot of filtration and its best to keep up with water changes for the best water quality. Oh and Welcome to FishLore! :)

7. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you everybody for your help. After I posted that I started reading the old posts on them and I had not realized how big they would get I thought they would top off at 5 to 6 inches. I guess I will just admire them in the fish stores and go back to setting up a small community tank of little fish. Thank you for the welcome....Alison

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Alison :)
    Sounds like a plan.

Have fun stocking and post some pics for us!