Question about bleach

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Quick question, I've only been keeping fish for about 4 months, I decided today was a good day to bleach the floors. So I moved all my furniture etc, and used a heavy amount of bleach.

The problem is i didnt think beforehand and the room with my 5 tanks doesnt have very good air flow so the entire room just smells of pure bleach. I put a fan in there to hopefully dry it faster but it's pretty strong.

Tldr. Will a strong smell of bleach hurt my fish?

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It more than likely wont hurt much if you turned the fans on. You could try using Peroxide to clean the floors from now on instead of bleach if you are worried? Sounds like it works just as good and doesnt smell so bad.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’m not sure how/if it will actually affect anything but, assuming it’s chlorine bleach, you can put some extra dechlorinator in your tank (dechorlinator dechlorinates and chlorine bleach has chlorine, so it could help)

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the responses. I didnt think it would hurt them but just wanted to make sure, I had to leave the room that's how strong it is lol

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could probably ease up on it if its that bad too......lol

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
If it smells that bad you used too much likely. Vinegar works well. Chlorine does volatilize out into the atmobit I don’t think it goes back into solution. You should be good.

New Threads