question about bio max aqua clear power filter

orangeson

Reaction score
okay i bought a 200 gph aqua clear power filter and i noticed that it comes with filter and bio max and carbon okay here is the question if the bio max is for the good bacteria to grow why should i replace it every 3 months i can see changing the carbon and the filter but cant see changing the bio max if it already has the good bacteria on it you would think the new bio max installed would cause the tank to recycle all over again well im new here and never had this kind of power filter i got it today and its up and running please let me know thanks

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rinse the sponge in used tank water to preserve the bacteria, just do the same with the bio-max it will last a very long time.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have the Aqua Clear filter. I never replace the sponge and I never replace the bio-cubes (unless they become so worn out, at some point in the future). As for the activated carbon, I don't use it at all as I perform frequent and large water changes. Just rinse the sponge and the bio-cubes in tank water during your filter maintenance. That is all

The reason the manufacturer tells you to change every medium every 3 months (or every 1 month in the case of activated carbon) is because they want to keep making money off you ... If you do not buy something every 1 - 3 months, they make no money. It's that simple. It's good you've asked that question

P.S. Although, with respect to the activated carbon, you shouldn't keep it in your filter for a long time because it works only for the first 1 - 2 weeks, then it becomes useless. And while you're still keeping it in your filter in that state, I have heard it may start leaching the toxins back to the tank (don't know if it's 100% true but it makes sense to me). If you don't want to buy new activated carbon every month, you don't have to have it in your filter at all. But make sure you perform regular water changes and that your tank is not overstocked.

orangeson

Reaction score
thank you i will take the carbon out in 2 weeks

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can keep the carbon in the filter for a month. Just don't keep it in for longer than a month (so that you make sure you don't have the toxins leaching from it).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom