Question About Bb

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
good morning this will sound like a beginner question I think I know but I want to be sure. I'm starting a betta tank can I use plants from my established tank as well as filter media for an instant cycle. My established tank is a 75 gallon and been running for almost 5 years.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some filter media from your established tank will have more bb then the bio film on the plants. But yes even just media will give you a cycle. So both will as well.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok thx like I said I thought so but I wanted to be sure. I'm only setting a betta tank 3.5g acrylic with 1 betta for my wife.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is the beauty of having a cycled tank. Seeded media from that tank can be used to instantly cycle another one. Just keep a close eye on the perimeters in the Betta tank. You should never see ammonia or nitrites and should start seeing nitrates after a while.

When I set my last tank up with seeded sponges for a molly grow out tank I started seeing nitrates within a week or so. It may take longer with just one little guy in this tank.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That plan sounds like a guaranteed way for an instant cycle, happy betta and happy wife.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You said it if she gets in to the hobby then it will make it easier for me when I want more tanks lol

I will post pictures later thx for the help

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
grump299 said:
You said it if she gets in to the hobby then it will make it easier for me when I want more tanks lol

I will post pictures later thx for the help
It will certainly help if she does! Mine grumbles about only keeping everything alive when Im gone lol. To be fair, she's pretty good at it, except for hating trimming the plants. (She trims them down just enough to prevent emersed growth lol.)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom