Question About Ammonia And Nitrite

1. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

Hi. If a person follows the formula ammonia + nitrite = less than 1 ppm, dose the full tank with Prime and Stability, ammonia + nitrite = 1 ppm or more, do a water change and dose the full tank with Prime and Stability, how big of a water change should it be? And is it normal if a tank falls under the first category and the nitrite goes up a little (probably due to fish deaths) and the ammonia increases due to a fish death and then lowers slowly despite a few fish deaths? None of the API test results are showing anything lethal, so I kind of think these fish (who are/were new and all came from the same pet store) were sick when we got them.

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That depends on how much ammonia/nitrite there is

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Is the tank cycled ?

4. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

No. It's never been cycled. It's the tank I take care of where my mom and I work and basically one day our boss said fish had to go in that day and it wasn't cycled yet. I feel bad that I did it, but there's nothing I can do to get our one remaining guy in a cycled tank right now, all I can do is get this tank cycled. I can't put him in my home tank because I'm pretty sure some of the other fish we got with him were sick when we got them and I don't want the illness to spread to my fish at home.

5. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

A 50% change will lower values by 50%, if it hits 1ppm of either, time to do a 50-75% change.... if it were in your home I would say 50 is fine as if needed you can do two water changes, but at work a slightly larger one could be helpful... weekends are going to be tough...
    General rule is you always want to bring it down to .25-.5...

6. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

The goal with the water change is to drop the ammonia/nitrites down to 0.5ppm. So it will usually be 50% or more. It is up to you if you want to drop it to below 0.5ppm. I personally prefer to do 50-60% to give a little cushion.

1ppm -- 50% -- 0.5ppm
    1ppm -- 75% -- 0.25ppm
    1ppm -- 90% -- 0.10ppm

7. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

Thankfully, whether or not it's a weekend is irrelevant. I can usually get there once per day, no matter which day of the week it is.