Question About Algae On Plants

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I am planning on rescaping my 50 gallon planted tank soon. I have black beard algae on numerous plants. I was wondering if that will ever leave or do I have to remove the affected plants to make sure I dont have it spreading? I was thinking about adding new plants so I did not want it spreading onto the new plants which dont have algae.

Allinone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The natural way to remove it is by using snails. They will eat them. In my experience if there is no sufficient algae for them to eat, they will start to eat the plants. So I will remove the snails as soon they eat up all the algae.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Allinone said:
The natural way to remove it is by using snails. They will eat them. In my experience if there is no sufficient algae for them to eat, they will start to eat the plants. So I will remove the snails as soon they eat up all the algae.
Cool! Thanks for the feedback! The only snails available where I live are Apple/mystery snails. Are those good too? Or do they start eating plants as well? I would get a snail that does not massively reproduce in the tank and that will prefer algae 100 times of plant leaves.

Allinone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
King o´ Angelfish said:
Cool! Thanks for the feedback! The only snails available where I live are Apple/mystery snails. Are those good too? Or do they start eating plants as well? I would get a snail that does not massively reproduce in the tank and that will prefer algae 100 times of plant leaves.
They are also good. I think they will also eat the plant if the algae are eaten up. So remove the snails,if all the algae are eaten up or when they start to eat the plants.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snails wont eat BBA amd the only fish known to eat it ate SAEs. Dealing with the cause is your best bet otherwise even 9f you get rid of it it will come back.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
smee82 said:
Snails wont eat BBA amd the only fish known to eat it ate SAEs. Dealing with the cause is your best bet otherwise even 9f you get rid of it it will come back.
I have already dealt with the cause, it was because my nitrates were too high. There is no longer any algae growing. It hasnt disapeared tho. It simply stays on the plants it has grown on. Fixing the cause prevents more algae from growing, but it does not eliminate the existing algae, especially stubborn ones like BBA. What I wanted to know was if the existing algae will spread over to new plants as if it were a flu or something. Or am I safe as long as I keep nitrates and other algae causing factors low.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
King o´ Angelfish said:
I have already dealt with the cause, it was because my nitrates were too high. There is no longer any algae growing. It hasnt disapeared tho. It simply stays on the plants it has grown on. Fixing the cause prevents more algae from growing, but it does not eliminate the existing algae, especially stubborn ones like BBA. What I wanted to know was if the existing algae will spread over to new plants as if it were a flu or something. Or am I safe as long as I keep nitrates and other algae causing factors low.
In my exerience it doeznt spread and usully goes away a few months later but i remove affected plants that are nit planted in the substrate and dip them in hudrogen peroxide aswell.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom