Question About Advice I Got

1. Manuel1223

Manuel1223 Valued Member Member

So i have a question i was advised by a member to add tetra safe start AND prime. So i did after my water change. After research ive found out that was a bad idea. What should i do now? Im cycling my tank with a few fish in. Running a 30 gal right now.
    Prior to my water change my ammonia levels were about .5 and it was cloudy. I was using api quick start and ultimate water conditioner. Per advice from the everyone i got tetra start and Prime conditioner.

2. c

chrish828 Valued Member Member

So prime acts as a water conditioner and will bind ammonia. You can actually add both at the same time (obviously add prime first to dechlorinate then you can add tetra safe start after). Prime binds the ammonia into a neutral state where it won't poison the fish. However, beneficial bacteria can still break it down. Looking at the seachem website, prime binds the ammonia for 24-48 hours or until the bacteria can convert it into nitrite. So adding prime first will not starve off the bacteria.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

4. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

But at what point do i Add the safe start because from what I have read they basically don't work really well together because of what you said. Are you saying put prime. Wait 3 days then add tetra? Sorry should have been more clear
    Yesterday i used prime for water change then used tetra like 30 min later. What should i do about that?

5. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

6. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

7. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Super helpful thank you

It worked! Thanks guys!
    Tank is cycled! Ammonia, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 20
    Ph is looking good too!