Question about activated carbon

not4you

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well I have a fin rot problem in my 10 gallon tank. I picked up some medication today on my lunch break and I'm going to start the treatment when I get home.

The instructions say to remove any activated carbon from the filter. Doesn't activated carbon lose ifs effectiveness after a few weeks? The carbon in my filter is over 4 months old, do I really need to remove it before I add the medication?

not4you

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah, I know what you're saying but I just think that the activated carbon is no longer "activated" if you know what I mean. Right now I think the only purpose that the carbon pouch serves is just another medium for bacteria to inhabit. Well, it's time for treatment so I'm going to do a PWC before I add the medication.... so if anyone out there thinks it's okay to leave the carbon pouch in speak up now or I'm taking it out.

not4you

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm getting ready to replace the water from the PWC then it's time to medicate. So should I remove the 4+ month old activated carbon pouch of leave it?

tick tock....tick tock.....tick tock.....................

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi there not4you the carbon in your fillter should have been removed three months ago.activated carbon is only effective for 1 month max,and should be changed once a month..once the carbon is not active any more it starts releasing all the toxins that it has gathered back into your tank..so basicly what im trying to say is that you may be doing more harm than good by leaving it in your fillter for that long.. : you would be better of without any carbon in your fillter..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom