Question about Activated carbon and liquid fertilezer

AamirAlfaiz

Hello.
I purchased ciramic rings, bio balls and activated carbon.
My question is can i put activated carbon in my top filter? Because i use liquid fertilezer for my live plants. Does activated carbon good for fertilizer.
Plz help me.ignore my english

MacZ

Activated carbon removes a wide range of things from the water indiscriminately. Including the fertilizers. It will also at one point have absorbed everything it can and stob absorbing anything.

So when using carbon and fertilizers together you filter out most of the fertilizers again and have to add more of the fertilizers and replace the carbon more often.

And the best: You don't need the carbon for anything. So leave it and safe money on fertilizers and carbon.

Thunder_o_b

Carbon will work to remove the the non organic parts of the fertilizer as well as the organics.

This is one of the reasons I use the Seachem line of products. They have a fast absorption rate. I shut down the filters with carbon for an hour or two so the plants have time to absorb the supplements then turn the filters back on.

I do have to add supplements most days of the week. Organics one day then non organics the next.

This is the 150 tall. It has two canisters with 1-2 pounds of carbon in each. and two HOB filters with no carbon.

1,500 gallons per hour in filtration.

EDIT: I reactivate the carbon every two weeks. All of this is a pain in the neck but the plants and fish do well.

Attachments

• _MG_9468-Edit.0 copy.jpg
    _MG_9468-Edit.0 copy.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 7

86 ssinit

I removed the carbon 30yrs ago. It removes meds,ferts,odors and clears up the water. But as started it clogs very quickly. Just isn’t needed. Add it when removing meds or want to clear up the water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crispii
Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views