Question about a snail infestation

jiorio1216

Hello everyone. My 55 gallon planted tank has somewhat of a pest snail infestation and I don’t like the look of it. I am worried mainly because, I have scraped all the algae off the glass and I do not over feed at all, that when they die they will rot in my sand substrate. Everyone says they will control the population based on food supply, but what happens when the supply runs out? Don’t they all die? Would this not create ammonia spikes/rotting dead snails? I want to try to blanch a piece of lettuce and see what I have in the AM. What do you guys do in this situation? I want to get 3-4 nerite snails, not all these pests.

gourameee

What do you guys do in this situation? I want to get 3-4 nerite snails, not all these pests.
pluck and pluck. just remove any pest snail you see. use a pair of long tweezers so you dont frighten your fishes. me and my grandpa regularly removed snails from my tank, and did nothing else except remove the snails to control the population.
didnt adjust the feeding etc. worked like a charm. all it takes is half an hour a day. i was lazy but still convinced myself to just eep removing snails, and now i dont see much snails.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

get the nerites snails now IMO so the pest snails have competition for food and will be less successful at breeding.

when my pest infestation started, I had 20+ a day to remove. Now it's 1 or 2.

Upvote 0

qldmick

weight down some lettuce and remove once covered with snails.

PB240157.JPG

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • fishlife9
  • Snails
Replies
Views
FishDin
  • Fish1999
  • Snails
Replies