Question about 2 genders in a tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Victreal, Aug 12, 2015.

1. VictrealValued MemberMember

So recently I have stocked a 5gallon with 3 fish

1 male endler guppy
    1 female endler guppy

And 1 fry which is starting to show a black and a little bit of orange which I assume it's a male

My question is when I drop flakes or pellets into the water the female doesn't eat it
    The male however gnaws and through it and so does the fry even though the flake is like double its size

The female has a black spot where the gravid spot is suppose to be but its not really fat and the black isn't very prominent but it's visible-ish if that makes sense

Do I have to fill a dropper with crushed flakes and feed the female or is it ok to just drop flakes in for an hour and fish it out the remaining after?

I've only had these fish for about 3 days
    And I'm prepared for fry with a cycled 20gallon tank when the fry get bigger who's only inhabitant is a sword tail which is reporting from nipped fins and a blue tuxedo guppy at the moment
    I know that the sword tail needs more space but as of now it's still injured and doesn't swim up very much or at all
    So basically what I am enquiring about is what do I do with a non-eating, out competed (by the male and fry of the same species) female

And these endler guppies don't eat their eggs or fry cause that fry has been in there since it was like half a cm

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

You might try feeding at two spots in the tank (I realize the a 5g isn't that big, but perhaps at opposite diagonals?). This is assuming that she is being out competed, which I think you indicated, rather than showing a lack of appetite. Best of luck, rick

3. VictrealValued MemberMember

So I took a pair of really long tweezers and tried feeding it that way

Even though it's in a log and I think it ate it I can't be completely sure

But I will try your method in a couple of hours to see if that works

Would it be lacking appetite from the male constantly chasing it?

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

It's stressed, if the male is constantly chasing it. Livebearers should be kept in ratios of one male to 3 females to reduce harassment.

5. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Try floating some flakes then pinching a few and sinking them under the surface, I have a couple platies that don't eat from the surface very enthusiastically and this seems to work. It's possible she's stressed from the constant attention she receives from the male, that's why usually a ratio of 1 male to 2-3 females is recommended for livebearers, the males are relentless at times :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. VictrealValued MemberMember

I see... These are red tuxedo guppies including the fry

But if I were another female, and get yellow tuxedo female and a male is the 1 To 1.5 ratio ok or am I pushing it... Cause it's a small tank
    And I'm pretty sure the 1 fry is a female too

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Can you upgrade? To a 10g?

8. VictrealValued MemberMember

I mean I have a 20 gallon available at the moment but I don't want to put these endler guppies in
    They have fry and the fry gets eaten by the blue tuxedo or the swordtail

9. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

If you are intent on raising fry from the female, then remove the males. They are only good for one thing, and once that's done they are nothing but an annoyance to the female and danger to the fry. They won't be needed again for 4-5 drops, either.

She will be fine by herself.

10. Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

Keep in mind, momma is quite capable of eating the fry herself ;)

11. VictrealValued MemberMember

Yea but I've read and had 1 fry in the tank since I got them
    Endler guppies don't eat their fry :)

But how do I know when to remove the male? As in when do I know that the female is pregnant

12. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Five gallons is WAYYYY too small for a breeding pair of endlers... I'd say 15 g at least if your gonna keep the fry in there... Whenever I feed my fish, I smush my flakes in a ziploc bag and feed fry and adults powdered food... I take a pinch and put my hand in the water and swish it around a little, it should spread out very well like this :)

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

13. VictrealValued MemberMember

I feel like a larger tank is in order then... Haha the MTS Is hitting me
    So at the moment I'll just leave it till Wednesday and I'll look for a 15 or 20 gallon tank to fit them in
    Would I need a larger tank if I was to get a second species of endler guppies and breed them so 4 fish

Cause at the moment i have 1 20g with 2 recovering nipped fish
    Swordtail and blue tuxedo guppy (I will upsize when the sword tail grows but it's small at the moment
    And one 10g with 8 neons.... That nipped my sword and guppy

FYI im going to seperate the fry to male and female after 1 batch of each

14. LeafrayValued MemberMember

IMO, as long as you seperate the fry into another tank, you should be gone because I keep trios in 2.5 gallons all the time... 5 gallons for guppies should be plenty

15. VictrealValued MemberMember

Ohh ok! Thanks :)

Yea ill separate them when they get are born and... Visible haha

Thanks!
    As 2 final questions

Do fry need to eat everyday? And are flakes fine? Or do I need to mix it up a bit like flakes and bloodworm

Ahh so many questions...
    So I was afraid the guppy fry... When they come would be sucked up by the filter
    So I stitched a meshed cloth which is actually used for bandaging stitches (which I rinsed)

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439640946.678747.jpg
    Is that fine?

And the gravid point... Is black... I think can I remove the male now? Or should I leave it ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439641025.967636.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  16. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

While I have never had fry, I do believe they need to be fed several times every day. They are in a fast growing stage.

I would think the mesh cloth would be fine.

17. Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

I feed my parrot fry twice a day, my guppies I only feed once though. There's very little extra care to make guppies over populate a tank. Even in a well decorated tank they run more risk of being eaten than they do malnourishment imo.

18. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Many breeders suggest that guppy fry should be fed baby brine shrimp the first weeks of birth, imo, it's WAYYY too expensive... I feed my fry baby daphnia which is fed spirulina powder. They also get a variety of adult foods crushed to almost powder.

Your female guppy doesn't look very pregnant, here's a link of stages of pregnancy:

Here is one of my endlers females that is close to popping.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439645893.438010.jpg

She should pop within the next week or so..

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: she IS having fry right now...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  19. VictrealValued MemberMember

Ohh... Ok wow you're guppy does look a lot fatter than mine haha
    Thanks for the comparison photo now I can see how close mine looks to that and the stages of guppy pregnancy description

Hey yours is the tiger endler guppy!
    I was wondering can they mate with red tuxedos?

I heard I can feed the guppy fry egg yolk and peas if I smoosh it into a paste does that work? Along with crushed flakes?
    How would I get my hands on daphnia? Or spirulina powder?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  20. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Mine is a top sword tiger cross... It's ok to mix with a tuxedo though it may not look too pretty. Usually this time in my state ( Minnesota ) you can gather a lot of daphnia in small ponds. You can get spirulina powder at most health stores and mix it with yeast and water to create food for the daphnia, if you would like, I could start a thread on how to culture and grow daphnia. And yes, egg yolk is great as protein! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice