Ques - purchasing another tank (used)

65gallon
I'm thinking about purchasing another tank from someone I know but they had metioned that they cleaned the inside of tank using bleach. my question is can the bleach ruin the silicone? and can the bleach be hazrdous for any future fish? thanks in advance and I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends

Dino
Use a regular dechloranator and that will counter the bleach.
We use bleach ( no frills, just plain bleach) to sterilize tanks of questionable origin here at the fishhouse.

sirdarksol
It's strange that the two most dangerous chemicals in a standard household (bleach and ammonia) are among a very, very short list of chemicals that are actually safe to use on an aquarium. (The ammonia will just get eaten by the nitrifying bacteria during the cycle, and, as Dino said, a rinsing with dechlorinator will take care of any remaining chlorine from the bleach.)

jdhef
And just a reminder:

never mix ammonia and chlorine bleach. The result is Mustard Gas which is lethal to humans.

sirdarksol
Huh, that's what that smell was...

Actually, my cousin was really lucky to not have died when we were playing with ammonia and bleach and he sniffed directly from the beaker we were mixing in.

pepetj
Things I learn around here... Important to know though, some cristal/glass cleaners (not that I use them) indeed contain diluted ammonia, the thought of putting those two together while cleaning an used tank, is quite disturbing.

Pepe
Santo Domingo

MrsM3197
And just a reminder:

never mix ammonia and chlorine bleach. The result is Mustard Gas which is lethal to humans.

When I was a much younger woman and new to the 'housewife" business, my husband got an inkstain in his new white shirt. I had the ever so bright idea that if I soaked his shirt in the ammonia/bleach solution it would be good as new. 'Bout killed my fool self, probably would have if he hadn't dragged me out of the laundry room. I really should have paid more attention in highschool chemistry. Glad you brought it up, excellent point.

COBettaCouple
That tank should be fine as far as them having used bleach goes.

65gallon
One more question.. I didnt want to start a new thread..

the tank has the fake oak going around the top and bottom of the tank.

Can I paint that to match my black stand?

Shawnie
if outside the tank, sure can!! I did ours..if inside, make sure you use aquarium safe paints ...what size is the new tank? and did you get it??

65gallon
125 gallon - don't have it in my possesion yet but I'm hoping to pick it up soon

Shawnie
WOW congrats again! thought maybe you were getting another as well as the one we were talking about and you are!

what will you do transfer your boys?

65gallon
havent looked at the tank in person yet but I kow its coming stocked. so depending what is in there I may just transfer my fish in there

Angela_96
Coming from a Resp Thearpist, if you mix the two together you can get severe chemical burns in your respiratory system, and also a chemical pnemonia.. both very unpleasent.

Getting a used tank, I would clean it good though, I bought a used tank not to long ago and literally scrubbed the thing! Finally its been working on a cycle for a couple weeks now.

65gallon
this tank actually is still running and has fish in it. 125 gallon with pine stand 2 aquaclear 110s all decorations and fish for 250.

what do you guys think? it may need some new lighting.

RiffDawg15
I think that is a heck of a deal!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LizzyP
Replies
Views
HunterChampion
Replies
Views
Emuhlee