Queen Arabesque Pleco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaUnaPez926

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was thinking of adding a Queen Arabesque Pleco to my 20 gallon community tank. What I have in there now are 2 Brochis Splendens, 2 three line cories and two honey gouramis. I want to get a fish that gets a little bit larger than the fish I have now, maybe like four inches or so, that could be sort of the 'centerpiece fish', one thats really striking and exotic looking, but I also wanted a bristle-nose pleco to take care of my algae. I thought maybe this fish would do both. Would a Queen Arabesque be compatible in my tank?

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I want to get a fish that gets a little bit larger than the fish I have now, maybe like four inches or so, that could be sort of the 'centerpiece fish', one thats really striking and exotic looking, but I also wanted a bristle-nose pleco to take care of my algae. I thought maybe this fish would do both.
Unfortunately, the queen arabesque is not an algae-eating catfish. They can also be quite nocturnal, so it may not be as visible of a centerpiece as you're looking for.

From PlanetCatfish:
I use a general rule for determining the janitorial scale of fish in the Loricariidae family. Super models rarely clean, and janitors rarely look like super models. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but it definitely helps narrow down the categories. These fish are definitely far too pretty to work for their supper! They will eat most meaty foods small enough to fit in their mouths. Fresh or frozen daphnia, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, cyclops, and blackworms are greatly appreciated. Prepared meaty formulas including flake and other sinking catfish formulas are more than adequate for maintenance. You will rarely see this fish come out and forage in the light for it's meals unless it has absolutely no other choice. They take hiding and nocturnal behavior to all new heights.

A definite carnivore, and absolutely not an algae eater. Not picky, take a wide variety of live and frozen food such as bloodworms, brine shrimps, gammarus. Tablets, especially those with high percentage of Spirulina are also recommended.

OP
MeGustaUnaPez926

MeGustaUnaPez926

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dang. Thats to bad. Do you know of any other pleco that would meet my requirements? Maybe a zebra or a clown? (I haven't don't any research on those fish) I will get a bristle-nose to take care of my algae, of need be, but I would rather find a pleco that does that as well as looks pretty. Thanks.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dang. Thats to bad. Do you know of any other pleco that would meet my requirements? Maybe a zebra or a clown? (I haven't don't any research on those fish) I will get a bristle-nose to take care of my algae, of need be, but I would rather find a pleco that does that as well as looks pretty. Thanks.
There are several plecos with black and white stripes that people call "zebra", but the true (and expensive!) zebra pleco, Hypancistrus zebra, is not an algae-eater either. Nor is the clown pleco.

As far as something that stays in that size range, looks good, and eats algae, it's hard to say... looks are too subjective Most bristlenose species are good algae eaters and come in a variety of colors and patterns, but I'm not sure what you think is attractive. A true siamese algae eater is another option, as they stay around 5-6" and are avid algae consumers, though they're often misidentified or mislabeled in stores, leading people to purchase something other than what they think they're buying.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the bn plecs and that would put you just about stocked then ...the albinos are awesome! but it wouldnt leave you any room for a center piece fishie

OP
MeGustaUnaPez926

MeGustaUnaPez926

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like the bn pleocs too. But I don't want to overstock, and I only have a little bit of room left. I really want some sort of 'main' fish. I love my cories, but they aren't to unusual. Are there any kind of plecos that would work? I like the ones with designs on them, rather than the solid color ones.
Mathas- what did you mean that bn plecos come 'in a variety of colors and patterns'? The only ones I've ever seen, online or in a store are either the albinos or plain brown ones.
Thanks!!!

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Long-finned Albino bns are truly beautiful and are covered with tiny white dots, and they also come in a lovely calico pattern.

They are also among the best algae eaters around, if not THE best.

The thing is that most plecos do not like to be out in bright lights, and may spend most of the day hiding under driftwood. So as a centerpiece, it may be lacking.

OP
MeGustaUnaPez926

MeGustaUnaPez926

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oooh those are pretty. I have lots of driftwood in my tank, so maybe they'll follow that whole 'the more places there are to hide the more we see them' rule. I'm not adding any fish to the aquarium now, because of my recent cory scare, (I posted a thread about that under cories- Cory Seizure? Please read that cause I'm still confused about what happened) but maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas. Thanks for the help!!

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mathas- what did you mean that bn plecos come 'in a variety of colors and patterns'? The only ones I've ever seen, online or in a store are either the albinos or plain brown ones.
Thanks!!!
The most common, by far, is the type that you've seen.

But there are other members of the Ancistrus genus that have different coloration, such as the two images from PlanetCatfish I've attached. Click here for a list of most, if not all, Ancistrus species. Unfortunately, some of them can be pretty hard to find, but they're lovely.

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Queen Arabesque don't compete for food well so it's best to give them very few bottom dwellers as company. they need wood and are not good algae eaters.
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom