Quartz in Aquascaping

oodelally

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve read that quartz such as clear quartz and rose quarts have no effect on the parameters of the tank. I can’t seem to find that many pictures of people using quartz in there aquascape and I’m just curious why that is considering how popular crystals are. Is it because they are expensive? I usually see only small pieces in small aquariums. Or is it because it’s hard to get it to look natural?

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have some rough pink quartz in one of my tanks that's currently being rescaped. I imagine it's a mix of the two reasons you listed. With quartz it can also sometimes be a bit more sharp looking than other rocks so it could be a bit intimidating.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Quartz itself is inert. I think its not used much because it gets looking dirty pretty quick.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
These were two scapes I did with quartz quite a while ago, it's no problem to use in a tank (I have both clear and rose in here). I think a lot of people just don't think of it tbh
1586300607512.png

1586300617602.png

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the quartz I wish I had some. I have Petoskey stones in mine.

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can use quartz in tanks but for me personally it lost color and started to cloud the water. Raw quartz may also be sharp. But I do agree that it is aquarium safe.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have several red Quartz Geodes that are occassionally used to color up the hardscape. The underside has the white quartz crystals. The backs are rust red.
20200407_185619.jpg

OP
oodelally

oodelally

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dewclaw83 said:
These were two scapes I did with quartz quite a while ago, it's no problem to use in a tank (I have both clear and rose in here). I think a lot of people just don't think of it tbh
1586300607512.png

1586300617602.png
Wow it looks so good! Does anyone have any more pictures?

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
I should add, I bought it at my LFS, it wasn't terribly expensive, they sell it by the pound. I took one big rock and smashed it with a hammer to make smaller rocks but they broke with razor sharp edges.

After a while they got kinda dirty looking and they aren't very easy to clean, you kinda have to go at them with a toothbrush.

New Threads