Quarium Safe Paint

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Not sure where to post this. I picked up some paint for homemade decorations, I tried to do a search but all I found was it needs to be acrylic paint. The brand I got is [Simply Acrylic] water base, is it safe to use?

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not sure about the brand, but I've heard acrylic, water-based paint recommended before. I'd wait for someone who knows more to chime in, but I don't see any issues with it. Definitely let it set and dry, very well, before adding it to the tank.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used acrylic paint to paint the back of my tank, but inside if it's safe not sure, it water based though so I'm not sure it will melt/disappear under water

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you want to know what paint is aquarium safe or a specific paint if it is?

Johnwardframer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey I'm a new member of this site and I need some help. I got this tank from my brother. I got it from him a few months ago. I notice my fish started getting sick and dying. Hey did a ammonia test and it was really high so I got a better filter from my brother. Well I decided to get a master test kit around the same time I got the almost new filter. Tested the ph,ammonia,nitrite, and nitrates and all off them tested bad other than the ph level. So I tried 25percent water changes and quick start and it help but my ammonia was testing 4.0 and nitrates were between 40 and 80. My nitrite was good. It was between 0 and 0.25. Told my brother about it. He told me to do 50 percent water changes every day for three days because it did we'll for his tank. So I did and it worked great. My ammonia was 0. My nitrite was 0 my nitrates was between 5.0 and 10. I was so excited and figured my tank was established. That was about two weeks ago. I was testing the water every day for a week and it stayed great. Well a week ago from today I got home from work and I notice my water was foggy looking and my wife said it was looking like that when she woke up that morning. So I decided to test the water that night. I was very upset when I got the results. My ammonia level and nitrates level were good but nitrite climbed up between 2.0 and 5.0. So I started doing 25 percent water changes every other day . We got the water looking clear but the nitrite stayed about the same. Last night I decided to get aquarium bacteria marineland 4 fl ounces.. treats 118 gallons. It's supposed to remove ammonia and nitrite instantly. I decided to do one last water change before I poured the whole treatment in the tank. My tank is a 55 gallon with a 8 small goldfish fish and one koi about three or four inches. Now I'm playing the waiting game. My last testing last night.ammonia between 0 and 0.25, nitrite 2.0 and nitrates between 5.0 and 10. Can someone please help me and tell me what could of cause this and a way to treat and prevent this happening again. Thanks

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Johnwardframer said:
Hey I'm a new member of this site and I need some help. I got this tank from my brother. I got it from him a few months ago. I notice my fish started getting sick and dying. Hey did a ammonia test and it was really high so I got a better filter from my brother. Well I decided to get a master test kit around the same time I got the almost new filter. Tested the ph,ammonia,nitrite, and nitrates and all off them tested bad other than the ph level. So I tried 25percent water changes and quick start and it help but my ammonia was testing 4.0 and nitrates were between 40 and 80. My nitrite was good. It was between 0 and 0.25. Told my brother about it. He told me to do 50 percent water changes every day for three days because it did we'll for his tank. So I did and it worked great. My ammonia was 0. My nitrite was 0 my nitrates was between 5.0 and 10. I was so excited and figured my tank was established. That was about two weeks ago. I was testing the water every day for a week and it stayed great. Well a week ago from today I got home from work and I notice my water was foggy looking and my wife said it was looking like that when she woke up that morning. So I decided to test the water that night. I was very upset when I got the results. My ammonia level and nitrates level were good but nitrite climbed up between 2.0 and 5.0. So I started doing 25 percent water changes every other day . We got the water looking clear but the nitrite stayed about the same. Last night I decided to get aquarium bacteria marineland 4 fl ounces.. treats 118 gallons. It's supposed to remove ammonia and nitrite instantly. I decided to do one last water change before I poured the whole treatment in the tank. My tank is a 55 gallon with a 8 small goldfish fish and one koi about three or four inches. Now I'm playing the waiting game. My last testing last night.ammonia between 0 and 0.25, nitrite 2.0 and nitrates between 5.0 and 10. Can someone please help me and tell me what could of cause this and a way to treat and prevent this happening again. Thanks
To get better help and advice, you might try to post this on the main "freshwater beginners" section as you're currently in another post about a totally different subject

To me it sounds like you're overstocked. Props to you on figuring out the nitrogen cycle! Alot of begginers (we're all beginners, since we're all constantly learning ) miss that step. Goldfish and koi have a very very high bio-load and create alot of ammonia. I suggest you do some research (on fishlore, or elsewhere) on what an appropriate sized tank is for your total number and type of fish (and always remember to research before you get any fish or any animal). Good luck!

yukondog said:
Not sure where to post this. I picked up some paint for homemade decorations, I tried to do a search but all I found was it needs to be acrylic paint. The brand I got is [Simply Acrylic] water base, is it safe to use?
If it's water based, it's water soluble, which means if something goes wrong, it can be diluted via water changes. I've heard acrylic paint is good to use, but I've never tried it. You can try it, just keep a good eye on your fish for a few days after.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I finished painting tonight and will let sit for about a week before putting in tank, I think I'll set up a guppy or platy tank in case things go south.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom