Quarentine tank

1. jimmy Initiate Member

hey, this question is directed to Mike, since he is the expert. Anyways mike, i have a 40 gallon tank and i need to start a quarentine tank of about 10 gallons. My question is what other equipment do i need, and how should i opertate it... Another thing is that i just wanted to know if a quarentine tank is important ...........hope to hear from u soon

jimmy

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

3. jimmy Initiate Member

hey mike,

the only question i have is that do i need live rock in the quarentine tank ? thanks again

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

No live rock in the qt tank. Any medications that you may have to use will most likely kill the living organisms on the live rock.

5. jimmy Initiate Member

ok so tell me if this sounds right ...................... - A 10 gal tank
    - power filter
    -heater and powerhead
    and PVC ?

6. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

PVC is a good idea for fish that like to hide and it should make it less stressful for them. The equipment you listed should work fine for a quarantine tank. What kind of fish do you need to quarantine?

7. jimmy Initiate Member

im looking to quarentine docile fish .... small ones like ... clownfish, demsel, firefish,...... but i would also like to get larger fish like tangs

oh ya ....... should i use fresh saltwater as well ....thanks mike u da man @!@

8. jimmy Initiate Member

hey mike ,

how often should i change the water in my QT... i heard daily, but theres no way i could do that........ how much % of water needs to be changed and when ?

thanks mike

lates