Quarantining With Minimal Equipment?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by Z123Killer, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

I have a spare 29 gallon tank and a 150W heater. Can I use that set up to quarantine fish with daily water changes?

2. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

you could, but why would you want to. A cheap filter costs less than 20 bucks.

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

I can get a filter but it won't be cycled, would that be an issue?

4. goplecos

If you need a QT tank. I would get a filter and use a filter cartridge from your existing aquarium. If you do daily water changes without a filter then you won't have much beneficial bacteria either.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

My existing aquarium just finished cycling today after 3 months, so I don't want to disturb the bacteria and start a mini cycle...

6. goplecos

Again, with daily water changes and no filter, there will be very little bacteria. In future I would make sure that you have 2 types of media in your filter. I use carbon cartridges that I change every now and then, and I also have aquarium sponge in my filter. I never change the sponge.

7. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You can also keep a little sponge filter in your main tank to use in a qt or to seed another tank when needed

8. OP
    OP
    Z

I understand that there wouldn't be much bacteria but this is just going to be a quarantine tank for new fish, so I will only need it for 2 weeks and that's it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice