Quarantining With Minimal Equipment? Question

1. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I have a spare 29 gallon tank and a 150W heater. Can I use that set up to quarantine fish with daily water changes?

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

you could, but why would you want to. A cheap filter costs less than 20 bucks.

3. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I can get a filter but it won't be cycled, would that be an issue?

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

If you need a QT tank. I would get a filter and use a filter cartridge from your existing aquarium. If you do daily water changes without a filter then you won't have much beneficial bacteria either.

5. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

My existing aquarium just finished cycling today after 3 months, so I don't want to disturb the bacteria and start a mini cycle...

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Again, with daily water changes and no filter, there will be very little bacteria. In future I would make sure that you have 2 types of media in your filter. I use carbon cartridges that I change every now and then, and I also have aquarium sponge in my filter. I never change the sponge.

7. smee82 Well Known Member Member

You can also keep a little sponge filter in your main tank to use in a qt or to seed another tank when needed

8. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I understand that there wouldn't be much bacteria but this is just going to be a quarantine tank for new fish, so I will only need it for 2 weeks and that's it.