Quarantining larger fish

TheWalkman

My green terror seems to have worms. I want to pull him out to treat him with general cure. My 20 gallon is filled with snails so I don’t want to treat in there my other tank is a 10 gallon. Would that be too small for a 4 inch green terror for a week or so?

TheFISH12

Is moving the snails to the 10 gallon an option? Then you could put the terror in the 20 gallon.

Upvote 0

TheWalkman

I don’t really want to move the snails because it’s an established tank that I’m about to put my pregant swordtail in
My 10 is just chilling in storage that needs to be set up

Upvote 0

RayClem

I would suggest you get a large plastic storage container that you can use as a hospital tank. However, you would need to borrow use some filter media from another tank to help cycle the hospital tank.

Treating for works is difficult. Although might cure the sick fish, your main tank might have worms in the substrate that will infect other fish or re-infect your cichlid when you return him to the main tank. You need to be doing frequent water changes in your main tank and vacuum the gravel to remove as many worms as you can.

The medications usually recommended for treatment of worms are:

Fenbenzadole
Metrodinazole
Levamisole
Praziquantel

Unfortunately, not every medication is suitable for treatment of every worm infestation. Some worms are easily eradicated with one treatment while others like camallanus worms may not be killed by the medications, but only paralyzed. That is why vacuuming the substrate is so important it removes the paralyzed worms before they can infect other fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
DRich
Replies
Views
Zach72202
Replies