Quarantining Ghost Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Caleb Smith, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Caleb Smith

Caleb Smith Valued Member Member

I am working on a planted Axolotl aquascape in a 20 gallon and I want to add some shrimp as a cleanup crew/snack when I get it cycled. I just got done sanitizing the tank for a fungus and so I definitely don't want to reintroduce anything, but my only other tank is occupied by my axolotl while I am setting up his new one. My question is, Do you quarantine your shrimp and if you do, how so? Is there an expedited way to go about it because I'm impatient? Or is there another species of shrimp that is more fitted for this situation???

2. Jeka

Jeka New Member Member

for a cleanup crew I would use amano shrimp and with quarantining you'd better be safe than sorry right

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I don't, aquarium shrimp aren't known to carry diseases that can spread to fish and vertebrates. They can spread disease to other shrimp, but since you don't have shrimp yet there isn't much danger.

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I think that they would just end up as expensive snacks.

I wouldn’t do the ghost shrimp unless you have a ton of hiding areas where the axolotls can’t get(bushy plants).

Then, I would let the ghost shrimp be in the tank for at least 1-2 weeks before the axolotl so they won’t be any “spawn kills”.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice