Quarantining 1 rummy nose tetra

• Thread starter barracooter
  • Start date

barracooter

Hey Fishlore friends,

I have a school of 8 rummy nose tetra, one of which appears to be sick or dying. It's red nose has become noticeably pale, it's body has become a darker green color (compared to the silverish color found on the rest of the school), and after a few days of not getting any better, it appears to be having a little trouble swimming and is getting thinner, particularly near its tail fin. It is eating and is not hiding, but is usually keeping itself away from the rest of the school. I can't see any ich, and I'm a little afraid it could be wasting disease. I really don't want to lose the entire tank to whatever the problem is, but I also don't want to lose the sick fish if I can save it.

I understand that one would normally quarantine sick fish, but seeing as the rummy nose tetra is a schooling fish and only one is sick, will the sick fish be exceptionally stressed out by being quarantined alone? Additionally, my only remaining QT is rather small 5.5 gallons, and not cycled at the moment (though I have plenty of biomedia in the current tank that I could add to the QT). Long story short, my question is, should I bother to quarantine the sick tetra? Or would that more or less be a death sentence for it? And if a quarantine wouldn't work, should I continue giving it time in hopes that it recovers, or should I simply cull the fish to save the rest of the tank?

Just so you know/don't have to ask, my tank is 36 gallons, contains 8 rummynose tetra and 8 corydoras paleatus. PH: ~7.6 GH: 5-6 KH:6 Nitrates: ~10 ppm. 0 ammonia or nitrates, tank has been cycled for over a year and a half if not two years, I've had the tetras for a little less than a year and a half, have never had any problems with them or the corys. Haven't added any plants or substrate to the tank since I started it. I hadn't done a WC in a week or so when the fish got sick, I just did a WC two days ago and have not seen any improvement in the sick fish or problems with the healthy ones. I feed the tetras Omega One Super Color flakes, and the corys a mix of Thera+A sinking pellets and Omega One sinking shrimp pellets. The tetras occasionally pick at the shrimp pellets as well, and I used to feed freeze-dried bloodworms, but haven't in a few weeks considering I ran out of them. Tank is filtered by one Canister filter (180 gph) and one hang-on-back filter (120 gph). HOB filter is just mechanical filtration, the canister has biomedia, mechanical, and purigen.

Thank you guys very much in advance. Also, if any of you have any thoughts about what exactly the illness could be, I would be super grateful for your advice.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
I'd go ahead and euthanize it at this point.

FishBoy101

Well Known
barracooter said:
Hey Fishlore friends,

I have a school of 8 rummy nose tetra, one of which appears to be sick or dying. It's red nose has become noticeably pale, it's body has become a darker green color (compared to the silverish color found on the rest of the school), and after a few days of not getting any better, it appears to be having a little trouble swimming and is getting thinner, particularly near its tail fin. It is eating and is not hiding, but is usually keeping itself away from the rest of the school. I can't see any ich, and I'm a little afraid it could be wasting disease. I really don't want to lose the entire tank to whatever the problem is, but I also don't want to lose the sick fish if I can save it.

I understand that one would normally quarantine sick fish, but seeing as the rummy nose tetra is a schooling fish and only one is sick, will the sick fish be exceptionally stressed out by being quarantined alone? Additionally, my only remaining QT is rather small 5.5 gallons, and not cycled at the moment (though I have plenty of biomedia in the current tank that I could add to the QT). Long story short, my question is, should I bother to quarantine the sick tetra? Or would that more or less be a death sentence for it? And if a quarantine wouldn't work, should I continue giving it time in hopes that it recovers, or should I simply cull the fish to save the rest of the tank?

Just so you know/don't have to ask, my tank is 36 gallons, contains 8 rummynose tetra and 8 corydoras paleatus. PH: ~7.6 GH: 5-6 KH:6 Nitrates: ~10 ppm. 0 ammonia or nitrates, tank has been cycled for over a year and a half if not two years, I've had the tetras for a little less than a year and a half, have never had any problems with them or the corys. Haven't added any plants or substrate to the tank since I started it. I hadn't done a WC in a week or so when the fish got sick, I just did a WC two days ago and have not seen any improvement in the sick fish or problems with the healthy ones. I feed the tetras Omega One Super Color flakes, and the corys a mix of Thera+A sinking pellets and Omega One sinking shrimp pellets. The tetras occasionally pick at the shrimp pellets as well, and I used to feed freeze-dried bloodworms, but haven't in a few weeks considering I ran out of them. Tank is filtered by one Canister filter (180 gph) and one hang-on-back filter (120 gph). HOB filter is just mechanical filtration, the canister has biomedia, mechanical, and purigen.

Thank you guys very much in advance. Also, if any of you have any thoughts about what exactly the illness could be, I would be super grateful for your advice.
Images?

Top Bottom