Quarantined Goldie What Is This?

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok well I guess I have too much faith in my small town, as I went to Petco, PetSmart and one of our 50 Walmarts and none of them have any of those products...grrr. I did what I had to do and bought betta revive on Amazon. It will be here Saturday. So I will just keep up with salt and changing the water. When do I redose the praziquantel? I did it on Tuesday for the first time.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thats a bummer. The betta revive treats only 5g (just fyi) so I'd order at least a couple. If you are doing 1g baths then you can make it last longer.

You can do a large water change on Sunday (50%) if you feel its helping and then re-dose it. It is active in the water column for 4 days or so.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats a bummer. The betta revive treats only 5g (just fyi) so I'd order at least a couple. If you are doing 1g baths then you can make it last longer.

You can do a large water change on Sunday (50%) if you feel its helping and then re-dose it. It is active in the water column for 4 days or so.
Ok yeah it looks like I will be doing the baths then, lol. I will reorder if it looks like I will need more. I gotta justify that prime account expense somehow!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
at the moment, it seems as though the salt and praziquantel helped, as the sores looked smaller this morning.
I'm so glad things seem to be looking up! Our situations are different but I wanted to say that M. Blue has worked when nothing else did. Hope your goldie's illness clears up soon!

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, sorry for the late response.
I can see the pics. I wouldn't choose tetracycline, it really has very limited use with most fresh water disease, same for erthromycin as they mainly treat gram positive infections. The majority of fish fin diseases and spots like what you see are caused by gram negative bacteria and needed to be treated that way.

My first choice would be to give him some Hikari Betta Revive (ignore the marketing name) or methylene blue baths. The first medicine has methylene blue, malachite green and neomycin in it, the second is just methylene blue. If you can't find those then I'd try API Fungus Clear which is acriflavin and malachite green. The first two you'd only want to use as a bath at double strength or use in a hospital tank where you don't care if you lose the cycle. The third one can be used in his tank at the same time as the prazi.
These are non-antibiotic treatments and a good way to start. There is some neomycin in the Betta revive but that mostly treats external bacteria, prevents infection.

You can increase the salt as mentioned to a total of 3 tsp per gallon, spacing out the salt additions by 12 hours each.
How many days in a row should I repeat the betta revive bath at double strength? It came in the mail today and I did a 1 hour bath in a 2 quart container with an airstone, which he was quite bored with.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you know that I'm not very experienced, but I did get lots of help from our medicine guru, @CindiL, when treating my own goldie.

So, betta revive contains methylene blue, malachite green as well as neomycin. I just read about neomycin here... If you look at the directions it says not to use for more than 10 days.

I treated with m. green at one time, and with m. blue at a later date. Both times treatment was recommended for one week. By the time a week is up you will either see improvement or not and can decide how to move forward from there. I know that with some medications you can do more than one round, but you'll need more research or more experienced advice than I can give on that.

I hope the betta revive works magic for your goldie like m. blue did for mine. My guy had spots forever, through multiple treatments. M. blue cleared him up in 4 days. I finished the week for good measure. He's still spot free 4 days later... doesn't seem like much but it's a little miracle for us.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you know that I'm not very experienced, but I did get lots of help from our medicine guru, @CindiL, when treating my own goldie.

So, betta revive contains methylene blue, malachite green as well as neomycin. I just read about neomycin here... If you look at the directions it says not to use for more than 10 days.

I treated with m. green at one time, and with m. blue at a later date. Both times treatment was recommended for one week. By the time a week is up you will either see improvement or not and can decide how to move forward from there. I know that with some medications you can do more than one round, but you'll need more research or more experienced advice than I can give on that.

I hope the betta revive works magic for your goldie like m. blue did for mine. My guy had spots forever, through multiple treatments. M. blue cleared him up in 4 days. I finished the week for good measure. He's still spot free 4 days later... doesn't seem like much but it's a little miracle for us.
Ok very good, a week it shall be. I wasn't sure how the little guy would tolerate it, because when I put him in there at first he seemed kind of twitchy. I think that was due to the sudden change in color from main tank to the bath jar, though. After a few minutes he was mostly just swimming around like usual, although with a "fish bowl" kinda thing going on in such a small space. I did notice that there were a few scales coming off during the bath. Did you notice that with your fish? I almost think it's a good thing, because there were a few scales that were damaged and looking like they needed to slough off.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My fish did lose a few scales during his unsuccessful treatment with RidIch+, which contains malachite green and formalin. I actually treated him with that another time as well and he lost a couple scales that time as well. I couldn't say for sure but maybe this is something that will happen to fish being treated with m. green & already exhibiting 'skin issues'.

I also found with the RidIch+ that my fish would gasp at the surface if I didn't have an airstone in with him. I generally don't use air stones but I'm glad I keep them on hand. That was scary so just a heads up to keep an eye out for signs of lowered oxygen.

Now, with the methylene blue I noticed that it seemed to have a sedative like effect on my fish. That was a little scary too but he would become active again as soon as he was returned to his tank. Plus, I was a little desperate, this med was a last ditch effort. I'm glad I pushed away my fears and continued with the whole week of treatment. He seems to be back to his old self and is definitely spot free!

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fish did lose a few scales during his unsuccessful treatment with RidIch+, which contains malachite green and formalin. I actually treated him with that another time as well and he lost a couple scales that time as well. I couldn't say for sure but maybe this is something that will happen to fish being treated with m. green & already exhibiting 'skin issues'.

I also found with the RidIch+ that my fish would gasp at the surface if I didn't have an airstone in with him. I generally don't use air stones but I'm glad I keep them on hand. That was scary so just a heads up to keep an eye out for signs of lowered oxygen.

Now, with the methylene blue I noticed that it seemed to have a sedative like effect on my fish. That was a little scary too but he would become active again as soon as he was returned to his tank. Plus, I was a little desperate, this med was a last ditch effort. I'm glad I pushed away my fears and continued with the whole week of treatment. He seems to be back to his old self and is definitely spot free!
Yes I did notice along with the slight twitchiness he at first seemed a bit sedated, but he definitely perked back up. I had always read about meds causing issues with oxygenation, and the container being so small, I just put a stone in to be safe since he was in for an hour. Seems completely fine back in QT, although truth be told he's not ever acted unwell, even with skin lesions.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello CognacB2,

How is your goldfish doing now? I also have a Moor with similar issues and I wonder what the best treatment is.
Sorry about the late reply. I didn't get the notification email until today. I have noticed a huge difference in the spots on my goldfish using the betta revive. I am out of it (super small tube), so I bought some kordon brand methylene blue to use to finish the treatment. I have seen very positive reviews for betta revive and a lot of people use methylene blue and other dyes before turning to antibiotics because they can have some bad side effects.

TigerRockFish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have noticed a huge difference in the spots on my goldfish using the betta revive.
Glad to hear it! Now it seems that my goldfish is getting over her white spots (white areas on the leading edges of her fins) on her own, although I did add 1 Tbsp aquarium salt per 10g a couple of days ago after a 50% water change. And lots of high protein frozen live foods. I was ready to start more aggressive treatment, but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to hear it! Now it seems that my goldfish is getting over her white spots (white areas on the leading edges of her fins) on her own, although I did add 1 Tbsp aquarium salt per 10g a couple of days ago after a 50% water change. And lots of high protein frozen live foods. I was ready to start more aggressive treatment, but it doesn't seem to be necessary.
Awesome news. I hear great things about salt, and I noticed an improvement with just salt before I began using the betta revive and praziquantel.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom