Quarantined Goldie What Is This?

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Confused... I thought columnaris was the cotton mouth thing? Camallanus is the red worms hanging out of the rear end, right? Or am I wrong? This fish doesn't appear to have any problems with its stools. It doesn't have any problems at all besides the skin rotting off
It doesn't have to be cotton mouth, if anything that is a different illness altogether. Callamanus is the worms hanging out the rear yes.

How is your fish's finnage?

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When i get home I may be able to see the pictures clearer. Are you sure these patches aren't just natural colourisation?
Oh no way! This fish only had a few scales that were silver when I got it (black fish), and a few of the fins looked a little beaten up. Other than that, the fish had none of these areas. These things are progressing quickly, too.

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh no way! This fish only had a few scales that were silver when I got it (black fish), and a few of the fins looked a little beaten up. Other than that, the fish had none of these areas. These things are progressing quickly, too.
When I can have a look at the patches I'll be able to tell you, but if they look like the natural skin and the fish is acting normal then I would say it's colour is just changing a bit

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't have to be cotton mouth, if anything that is a different illness altogether. Callamanus is the worms hanging out the rear yes.

How is your fish's finnage?
The fish's fins were a bit split when I initially purchased it, and it seemed to be improving. Now yesterday I noticed the dorsal fin is separated toward the caudal portion of it, and the other fins appear a little bit torn up as well. I just tried to upload another image and it says it's too big...

Ok trying again

If you can see this picture, you can see the dorsal is separated and looks very ragged, and there's a lesion affecting this area.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Going to try when I go into town today to add more images.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok so I went to the LFS (got a nice keyhole cichlid, too!) and the owner said she helped her friend treat her goldfish tank and that when she consulted some "people who know" (I can't remember the name of the people she said), they recommended first treating with tetracycline and then doing a follow up treatment with furan. I have access to tetracycline tablets. My question is, how much would I give, how often, and for how long? There's conflicting information on the internet, and I was wondering if anyone has used tetracycline to treat something like this? She didn't have it in stock and I can get it faster myself than she can reorder. She said her friend's goldies looked just like mine, and that regimen cleared it up. Any advice welcome.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First of all.... Bump

As far as medicating, I can only say that I would use antibiotics as a last resort. Maybe try an antifungal first? I wish I could help you to diagnose but I just don't have the experience for that.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First of all.... Bump

As far as medicating, I can only say that I would use antibiotics as a last resort. Maybe try an antifungal first? I wish I could help you to diagnose but I just don't have the experience for that.
Thank you for your help! Will post with an update if I figure anything out.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@CindiL, I know you are very busy but it would be great if you could take a look at this thread... OP has been advised to use Tetracycline and it would be great to have your thoughts on that.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@CindiL, I know you are very busy but it would be great if you could take a look at this thread... OP has been advised to use Tetracycline and it would be great to have your thoughts on that.
Don't worry guys. I'm not using any meds other than praziquantel and aquarium salt as of yet, and it seems that the praziquantel and or salt have made a difference. I checked this morning and the lesions haven't gotten worse and may look slightly better, so I'm not going to do anything rash just yet. Going to redose the prazi and keep using salt and see how it goes. I know tetracycline can be pretty harsh on renal function, so I'm not really keen on using antibiotics if not really needed.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, sorry for the late response.
I can see the pics. I wouldn't choose tetracycline, it really has very limited use with most fresh water disease, same for erthromycin as they mainly treat gram positive infections. The majority of fish fin diseases and spots like what you see are caused by gram negative bacteria and needed to be treated that way.

My first choice would be to give him some Hikari Betta Revive (ignore the marketing name) or methylene blue baths. The first medicine has methylene blue, malachite green and neomycin in it, the second is just methylene blue. If you can't find those then I'd try API Fungus Clear which is acriflavin and malachite green. The first two you'd only want to use as a bath at double strength or use in a hospital tank where you don't care if you lose the cycle. The third one can be used in his tank at the same time as the prazi.
These are non-antibiotic treatments and a good way to start. There is some neomycin in the Betta revive but that mostly treats external bacteria, prevents infection.

You can increase the salt as mentioned to a total of 3 tsp per gallon, spacing out the salt additions by 12 hours each.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, sorry for the late response.
I can see the pics. I wouldn't choose tetracycline, it really has very limited use with most fresh water disease, same for erthromycin as they mainly treat gram positive infections. The majority of fish fin diseases and spots like what you see are caused by gram negative bacteria and needed to be treated that way.

My first choice would be to give him some Hikari Betta Revive (ignore the marketing name) or methylene blue baths. The first medicine has methylene blue, malachite green and neomycin in it, the second is just methylene blue. If you can't find those then I'd try API Fungus Clear which is acriflavin and malachite green. The first two you'd only want to use as a bath at double strength or use in a hospital tank where you don't care if you lose the cycle. The third one can be used in his tank at the same time as the prazi.
These are non-antibiotic treatments and a good way to start. Their is some neomycin in the Betta revive but that mostly treats external bacteria, prevents infection.

You can increase the salt as mentioned to a total of 3 tsp per gallon, spacing out the salt additions by 12 hours each.
Ok awesome advice. Thank you. I have been increasing the salt over three water changes. I wasn't going to use any antibiotics unless the situation turned dire, and at the moment, it seems as though the salt and praziquantel helped, as the sores looked smaller this morning. I will try to find the betta revive, and if I can't find that, I have methylene blue here at work. What concentration for the methylene blue if I can't find the betta revive?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is the one you have at work the Kordon brand? If not, check the percentage of it, the Kordon brand is 2.3%. 1 tsp per 10g is 3ppm. For a one hour bath I double the dose and in a 2.5g bucket would use 1/2 tsp (regular 1/4tsp dose doubled).

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The one we carry is an actual bottle of pure methylene blue and it's used for making blood smears. It doesn't indicate the concentration, so upon further investigation, I am not willing to use it. I'm going to go after work and look for some of the other products. We have three major chain pet stores and many many Wal Mart stores here. Someone is bound to have one of these things! I asked my hubby how the fish looked when he got home, and he said he's still swimming around as usual, so that's good.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah I wouldn't try it either!

Ok, you should be able to find it hopefully. I'd do the one hour bath method or if you don't mind losing the cycle in the qt tank then you can dose it at regular dose in the hospital tank. I prefer it as a bath though I think because you double dose it so it has more impact, just for a shorter amount of time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom