Quarantine

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by Aquarium Josh, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

I just bought 6 black skirt tetras 3 are schooling together those three the sports on them are dark black the other 3 are all in separate spots much lighter just chilling at the bottom 2 of the 3 will come up and get food when I feed them the third just waits for food to pass it's face what should I do? And if they are sick can I use a all in one medication on the tank to get them better? Ph7.6 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10

Skirts not sports

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  2. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

How long have you had them? It takes several days for them to start acting normal. So don't worry unless it's been more than 3 days. I just brought home 4 black skirts last night myself. They were sooo freaked out last night, but today they seem fine. Their coloring is much better too.

3. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

I got them on Sunday I noticed that they get there color back when the lights are off and act normal a d school all together. It won't hurt though if I do med the whole tank though will it?

4. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Meds are naturally toxic... I see no reason to if you dont see clear symptoms.
    Your fish are probably stressed by the light, too bright light will freak them out. Give them hiding places and shade.
    I had to give my fish some terracota pots and PVC tubings in my 10 gal because they were really freaking out at my lights.

5. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

@Aquarium Josh it is up to you whether you want to treat them or not. If they have no outward signs of actual illness it isn't necessary to treat them with meds. Now a lot of people will treat preventatively. I am one of them, but I did research for weeks, and decided on my own.

Are they on their own in a quarantine tank?

6. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

How are your black skirts doing?

7. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

They are doing great it was just the light freaking them out I dropped the light from 16 hours to 12 hours and bought 2 more made them feel a lot more comfortable

8. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

Oh and no I put them in the main tank my lfs is really good so I felt like I could trust them with the quality of fish

9. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Glad they are doing well!

I only keep my lights on for 8 hours or so. But my tank isn't planted at all either.

10. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

I have some new plants and shrimp coming in the mail once those arrive there should be a lot more shade for them can't wait

11. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

16 hours? Wowwww, that is way too much. And I don't think fish care about the time they are on but about the intensity of it and if there are hiding places.

12. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

There is plenty of hiding places I just haven't seen them go in but the one that was stressed the most

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice