Quarantine Treatment Options

Ayzal

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way the importance of quarantining all live stock and had a columnaris and camallanus worms outbreak in my freshwater community tank that took a few of my fishes out. My tank is at least 80G, heavily planted, and dirted, so completely restarting and scrubbing down wasn't really an option for me. I'm actually still dealing with camallanus worms. I didn't think I needed to quarantine because I bought all my fish from the same LFS at the same time. Big regret.

So to save time, money, and stress, I will quarantine everything I put in my tank from now on. I'm setting up a new tank that's over 100G with more expensive fish so I do not want to deal with the mistakes of not quarantining. I want to do the medicated route just in case with Fritz Maracyn, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, and Fritz ParaCleanse. Maybe add in Fritz Expel-P too or just use Expel-P? What is everyone's thoughts?

I have a 10G glass aquarium I just bought and a few sponge filters. I won't be cycling the QT since I'm going to keep it in storage when not in use. How do you clean a sponge filter after use to make sure no diseases or parasites are transferred?

Frank the Fish guy

Get it hot. Stick it in the microwave until it starts to steam. Dead sponge. No chemicals.

Ayzal

Get it hot. Stick it in the microwave until it starts to steam. Dead sponge. No chemicals.
The sponge filter I have has plastic parts. Is that ok to microwave?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Texakage
Replies
Views
Vaughn
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views