Quarantine this shrimp?

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a shrimp with a piece of her shell lifted up and its red. I initially thought something was attached or fungus growing but after a good look I'm sure it's a damaged shell piece that turned red. She is also berried if that makes a difference. I put her in a mason jar with tank water because I initially thought contagious fungus but wanted to get a second opinion before I put her back in.

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi rofea in the third photo dose the shell just behind that piece look to be damaged as well, if so she may have been attacked by a predator, its hard to make out, any chance of a side photo

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a side photo but it's a bit blurry from the jar curve. She is in a 10 gallon Neo only tank though I recently found some hydra (and something cloudy but similar to hydra in that it stays in place but recoils when touched) in there.

I do have a couple of tiny fish with ghosts and neos but they are in a 2.5 gallon and two days old fish fry smaller than shrimp in a 5 gallon with neos. This one came out of the neo only tank but I won't put her back in 10 gallon since I dont like her pattern.

She is still in the jar but i will put her in the 5 gallon if this doesnt look contagious. Her energy and appetite is not affected. She is eating in this side pic.

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it certainly looks like damage to me that side photo looks like the shell as a bit missing, i cant see anything diseased and wonder if the piece sticking out is a pleopod or swimmer, you can see it better than me

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have two more pics. It is looking more like damage from all angles but is turning red what happens to shell damage?

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its possible this happened during the last moult if it gave her problems, it right on the spot where the carapace splits. this can go a few ways so keep an eye on her, first she may die of shock, the piece may be a pleopod sticking out and the red may be an infection setting in or just the color its hard to say. i dont think theres any danger to the other shrimp, if she did die there always the chance to tumble the eggs, if you decide to keep her in the jar change the water with tank water every few days to refresh, it down to you but i can see no reason to keep her in the jar and it woulf be better for her to have the hatch in the big tank, any idea how long she as been carrying

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I never knew when she berried but the eggs have grown the past week and she is still alive though she gets caught on guppy grass often since she has that part poking out. She is a tough shrimp!

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: This shrimp is still kicking and berried. She has not gone very far from the bottom of the tank which is frustrating because she always has to fight past the grasses when stuck by her shell piece. If she would at least rest on a rock or the other plants i think she'd be more comfortable. I see some baby eyes so i think they'll hatch soon. I still think she is one of the ugliest shrimp but I'm rooting for her.

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is she in her original tank, I can see the eyes as well so not long and it looks more like that bit a the shell that's damaged

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, I moved her when I first posted. I acclimated her for over a day mostly because I was unsure if she should stay quarantined but I have not noticed any other shrimp in this tank showing any shell damage so I think it must have been a physical injury.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its best to leave the young for about 9weeks once born before moveing

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
Its best to leave the young for about 9weeks once born before moveing
I transferred her to the 5 gallon on 11/22 and her babies (they hatched last friday) will stay in this tank. She is still kicking! I was hoping that piece poking out would slough off with a postpartum molt but its probably too thick and connected to fall off.

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was just cleaning the tank with a baster and sucked up a big molt. It was her molt with that thing poking out on the molt. She is in the tank now free from anything poking out!! She won't get caught every second as she navigates the tank. I'm glad she won't be bothered by that anymore but I'm more surprised that she carried and had babies and survived. Here is a pic of the molt.

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad it's worked out for the best

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom