quarantine tanks

dee34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
guys i just got a 60lt tank which i will use as qt tank so ive a few questions 1: do i need a skimmer, 2: will the internal filter be ok 3: will i hav to change the lights to t5s .

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Dee,

Congrats on the new tank. Hopefully some of our salt members will respond before long. Yeah for Quarantine!

Ken

dee34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
;Dgood morning ken , thank you very much .

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dee31 said:
guys i just got a 60lt tank which i will use as qt tank so ive a few questions 1: do i need a skimmer, 2: will the internal filter be ok 3: will i hav to change the lights to t5s .
Hi there,
Well it will depend on what the purpose of the QT is. For example if you are going to QT fish only, then the basic stuff will do. My tank only has heater, filter, powerhead and a piece of PVC. If you are going to QT corals aswell, then you might need the lighting for them aswell as keeping your nitrates down enough.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It also depends on whether you are going to keep it running or just store in until when you are going to get a new fish.

I use to QT, but not anymore. I keep the tank with all equipment in storage and then pump out water from the tank into the QT with a piece of LR or two. Make sure though you kill of the LR when you're done. I forgot to do this once and had copper in my reef tank.

ATP

dee34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ATP said:
It also depends on whether you are going to keep it running or just store in until when you are going to get a new fish.

I use to QT, but not anymore. I keep the tank with all equipment in storage and then pump out water from the tank into the QT with a piece of LR or two. Make sure though you kill of the LR when you're done. I forgot to do this once and had copper in my reef tank.

ATP
i might leave the QT tank running constantly , not sure i understand what you mean about the LR ?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are to QT fish only this is fine but for corals you do not need to do this process for a QT tank all you need is a power head and do water changes daily about 10 percent will do. as for lights no need for them as for skimmer same thing no need. The important thing is to do water changes daily and to get them out as soon as possible the longer the fish are in QT the more stress they have on them which will cause a stronger chance for disease. If they are in tank for at least 4 days and are eating well then they should be fine. That does not mean that 2-3 weeks later develop symptoms. There are many causes for a fish to get sick when purchusing fish it is best to visit LFS for a week or so to watch fishand you must know what to look for. There are many factors on this subject good luck and hope all goes well for you!!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads