Quarantine Tanks

1. dahly Member Member

Do I need to cycle a quarantine tank prior to adding more fish? How long do the fish need to be quarantined? ???

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes your Quarantine tank needs to be cycled. If you have a filter for your Quarantine tank you can keep it running all the time on the main tank, then when you need the "Q" tank just move it over. or you could keep a couple of hardy fish in it to keep it cycled and move them before you put new fish in. Although the filter way is the easiest. You don't even have to put water in the tank until you need it. Hope that helps
    Carol

3. dahly Member Member

Thanks Carol, that's not difficult at all. Sound like putting a second filter onto a tank is also a quicker way to cycle any tank. Perhaps those starting out may want to ask a friend if they could "borrow" space on their tank to cycle their fiter. :D though Question two wasn't answered. :-* How long do the fish need to be quarantined?

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Oh sorry :D I got stuck on # 1.
    Quarantine them at least 2 weeks and if you have any doubts do another 2 weeks. If they are sick and being treated I try to do 2 weeks after they are well. This gives them time to regain their strength before having to compete for food. Just my thoughts.
    Carol

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Sometimes you don't have your Q tank cycled when you need it, and sometimes the meds kill the biological filter. In that case, just keep close tabs on your ammonia and nitrates and change water out when you need to. Just make sure you keep the concentration of meds needed in the tank when you change the water out.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yep that too. Gunnie I'm glad your around to add the things I don't think of ;D
    Carol

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

We're all in this together my friend. That's what makes a forum great! ;)

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
    Carol