Quarantine Tanks- How many in the hobby actually use them?

LaurieCory

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi. I hear and read so much about the importance of using a quarantine tank, but every staff person I’ve spoken to (and I do mean EVERY person) in my LFS’s say they don’t use them. I don’t understand the contradiction. Is it a case of “do as I say and not what I do”? After having yet another problem with bringing new fish into my community tank that turned out to be sick, I am going to start quarantining my new fish. I’m curious whether folks in this forum use a quarantine tank, and whether you medicate fish right off the bat, like with E.M and General Cure, or if you wait to see if problems arise. Thanks in advance for any input.

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I quarantine new fish for 3-4 weeks. I don't recommend using antibiotics without reason. This is both a waste of money and helps create antibiotic resistances. During those weeks I mostly monitor them and only treat when necessary.

LaurieCory

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for responding. Good point regarding the antibiotics. Sounds similar to what happens with humans and antibiotics. Thank you.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am new to the hobby. Bought my first large batch of fish (cardinal tetras) I got 17. Within 24 hrs I lost 11. Luckily they were in a brand new tank. So with that lesson I will definitely qt any new fish going forward. I will probably try to get more in a month and hope to fill the rest then

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I quarantine new fish for 2 or 3 weeks. It gives me a chance to observe them for any unusual behaviour/illness, and it also gives them a chance to get used to the new feeding and light schedule.

I make sure my QT tank is similar to the display tank they're eventually going to be in, as far as plants, decor, substrate etc. I know many will use bare bottom tanks with minimal decor for QT, but I think it makes the fish more 'comfortable' being in a more 'natural' environment than the bare tanks they've been in at the store. I figure they've been thru enough stress with shipping and being crammed in with a ton of other fish, so once I bring them home, it's time for some luxury!! ;)

I don't medicate unless there is a reason to.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some LPS do quarantine but I think most don't. They get fish in hoping to sell them quickly and in most cases only have them for a few days. We buy fish hoping to have them for a long time thus the reason for quarantining them to hopefully catch an illness before infecting the fish we already have.

I've never quarantined but I've just been lucky I guess. The most recent fish I have added to my tanks have been bought from members here in this forum and were quarantined before being shipped to me but even if they hadn't been I would have just added them to my tank without quarantining.

I would feel like a hypocrite advising someone quarantine when I personally don't do it but it really is a good idea 'specially if buying fish from some of the big box stores.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I *usually* quarantine for close to 6 weeks. That gives me enough time to do two rounds of Levamisole, 3 weeks apart, to deworm.
My quarantine tank has gravel and fake plants so the fish aren’t stressed out.
I didn’t quarantine the last fish I purchased but I added them to a tank with just a few fish in it. And so I’ll just dose that tank with Levamisole. It’s not too bad to do a 40 gallon with the protocol.
I don’t do any other meds unless necessary and I usually wait close to a week before I do the first dose of Levamisole.

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
After 25 years of having fish, I must say I never used a quarantine tank. I guess I can say Ive been very lucky

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd venture to say that the majority of fishkeepers don't keep a QT tank, including me.
In a perfect world, everyone would keep a QT tank up & running. There is no arguing the benifets, but if you don't QT, the following advice might help:
- Handpick each fish you buy, only selecting the most vibrant, strong & aggressive ones.
- Buy from a reputable vendor.
- Familiarize yourself with fish diseases and learn to recognize symptoms.
- Keep a supply stock of some of the basic meds.
- The most important factor / Keep a well maintained aquarium. Introducing a new fish into a relatively pristine environment is paramount.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
- The most important factor / Keep a well maintained aquarium. Introducing a new fish into a relatively pristine environment is paramount.
This right here is the holy grail of fish keeping. :) Change the water often, change enough of it each time to actually make a difference and you will have healthy fish.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's what I thought about having a clean tank. but this cardinal scare worried me. It makes me scared to try to add more cardinal that end up with columnaris like I think a few popped up with. Or maybe it's just such a new tank that wasnt established enough. Maybe I'll just order some tank raised cardinals to fill my gap. Buying a 10g to qt kinda would suck

AcuarioAmazonico

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do have quarantine tanks but depending on where I get fish I may not quarantine. My last purchase was in quarantine for a month at store and I couldn’t buy her for a couple of weeks. Then I got her straight into my tank so plop she went without being QT’d. Certain fish like DG or if the goal tank has $$$ fish - get a decent QT from 2-4 weeks.

I had it bare bottomed til recently. Now it’s full of fake plants and plenty of real java moss, and sand/gravel and open caves.

I’ve only ever medicated in QT when necessary (eg: observed fungus, etc) and wouldn’t for the sake of it.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
That's what I thought about having a clean tank. but this cardinal scare worried me. It makes me scared to try to add more cardinal that end up with columnaris like I think a few popped up with. Or maybe it's just such a new tank that wasnt established enough. Maybe I'll just order some tank raised cardinals to fill my gap. Buying a 10g to qt kinda would suck
I don't think it was a problem with your tank or water. Sadly in your case these fish weren't healthy to begin with and in this case your main tank turned out to be the quarantine tank since they were the first fish in the tank. I really hated to see your first fish getting sick and dying. I know it will make you leery of getting more. :(

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah lost 11 in 24hrs. The 6 left and my 3 apistogramma are doing just fine. But that's lesson I will have to learn being new to the hobby. Now that I have my apistogramma I dont wanna risk them getting sick.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't in the past because I only have one tank, but I plan to add at least two more, and one of those will be used for quarantine.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa said:
I haven't in the past because I only have one tank, but I plan to add at least two more, and one of those will be used for quarantine.
The main problem with having a QT up and running all the time is it soon turns into another fish tank and then we have to get another tank to use as a QT :D

The only way to prevent that is to have a dedicated tank we keep empty until needed. Then you could just pull seeded media from a cycled tank to instantly cycle it. Once quarantine time is over just break it down and put it away until needed again but where's the fun in that.

BettaNgold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do QT for 14 days. Ich will show up by then. Other diseases can take months to infect a tank. The only fish I don’t QT for obvious reasons are bettas.

mattgirl said:
The main problem with having a QT up and running all the time is it soon turns into another fish tank and then we have to get another tank to use as a QT :D

The only way to prevent that is to have a dedicated tank we keep empty until needed. Then you could just pull seeded media from a cycled tank to instantly cycle it. Once quarantine time is over just break it down and put it away until needed again but where's the fun in that.
I agree. I just seed my QT tank when needed. Otherwise it stays stored.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:

My tentative plan is to keep it lightly stocked to keep it cycled, then move those fish to another aquarium when I get new ones (or leave them since they'll be inexpensive fish that I'm not overly fond of anyway).

BettaNgold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa said:
My tentative plan is to keep it lightly stocked to keep it cycled, then move those fish to another aquarium when I get new ones (or leave them since they'll be inexpensive fish that I'm not overly fond of anyway).
Why bother? Just keep extra media in your existing tanks to move over when you need it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom