Quarantine tank Help

1. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi guys,
    Can someone help me out? I have been looking around for a thread someone (I think Lucy) posted recently about a quick setup for a Q tank. I am not sure, but I think it had a sponge filter and was really inexpensive. I can't find it. :;fru

I don't currently have a Q tank setup, but Jaysee convinced me that I need one for when I get my neon tetras.

My requirements are
    1) it has to be small, no more than 3-5 gallons. I know 10 is preferred but I am willing to do daily water changes if I need to.
    2) I cannot put another filter on my 30g.
    3) I would prefer not to buy another air pump unless I really need to.
    4) It can't be glass. Even my 30 is acrylic.

Here are a few questions:

1) Would a small rubbermaid container work, with holes drilled into the lid? or a kritter keeper?

2) Do I need to buy an air pump and airstone, or will the agitation from a filter be sufficient?

3) What is the least expensive type of filter I could use? An internal?

4) I know I need to buy a heater, which is no problem. Will a heater be okay on a rubbermaid, or will it melt the plastic?

5) Is bare-bottom okay, with a couple of plants floating around? I don't have flower pots, but I could stick a teacup in there for a hiding spot (sound familiar? ;)

6) Recently there has been talk of using a product like Cycle in a Q tank, since you only have it up temporarily and don't have to be concerned with a permanent bacteria colony. If I use this, does anyone see any problems or issues?

7) Would it be better to buy a 3 or 5 gallon kit?

As always, much thanks to all of you for your advice.

2. click Well Known Member Member

I recently bought a 10g tank to use it as hospital/q tank. I believe the reason why 10g is the size most of people like to go with is because of the medication. So far, the medication I used and seen, has dosage for 10g. I would go with the 5g since in case you have to treat them for any illness it would be easier to divide a dosage in 2 rather than make the correct adjustment for a 3g (I get head-aches just thinking about the process).

Air pump would be required if you have to increase temperature, to treat ICH for instance. Water with higher temp loses oxygen much faster. Air pumps are cheap, don't think it would be a problem.

Cycle can be used if you're not planning to keep the Q tank running all the time and/or you don't have extra media available.

Yes, I prefer bare bottom since I can clean it easily and I can see what drops from my fishes... I don't think the fish mind bare bottoms.

Hope other members will help you with the other points.

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

4. phil saint Member Member

i got a small kiddys starter tank it came with filter,heater and pump (a very basic setup). it was prity inexpensive i dont have it setup unless im using it. whenever i use it i ask the shop for abit of thier filter media (they always have an abundence of the stuff) to put in the tank, that way i can store the tank when im not using it and not have to worry to much about cycling. when i started i didnt know about the nitrogen cycle and ended up cycling with 10 neon tetras, iv still got all ten now. they are only little but from what iv seen they are as tuff as old boots hahaha

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Here's the link:
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup

1) Yes, I use both at times.

2) A small filter is fine. I have a mini Hagen elite rated for 3g's. I like it :)
    I've also just used an airpump with the hose stuck into a seeded filter sponge.

3) Not sure about prices. There are some that run with an airpump. PennPlax comes to mind, for about $20.00. If you already have an extra air pump, the filter attachment is less....maybe 5 bucks? Check the Petco website.

4) I haven't had any problems with heaters in the critter keeper or tote. They usually don't lay on the plastic because of the suction cups.

5) That sounds great.

6) I've never done that. I keep extra filter media in my cycled tanks to use in a Q tank.
    I don't see why you couldn't use Cycle for a short term Q.

7) For a Q tank? The kits can be expensive and usually don't have heaters.

Whew.. lol
    Hope that helped.

Edit: wow :;tmnt By everyone! lol
    Click has a good point about the dosage on meds.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Thank, guys, for all the advice and suggestions. This sounds great. I'll get a 5 gallon container so that I can store all of the stuff in it when it is not in use, and I'll go ahead and buy an airpump too.

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

One thing I didn't mention.
    What I don't like about the plastic totes is that the plastic isn't really see through like a tank or critter keeper.
    Something to keep in mind. :)

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I've never seen a kritter keeper - it's basically a container to house a rodent? Hard plastic with a breathable lid?
    I wonder if I can pick one up at Petsmart...

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks! Petco has them on sale for 9.99... I'm so excited :)

11. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

The Rubbermaid would be great, with a sponge filter attached to the airpump. It would stir the water well enough....and a basic heater....submersible type

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have used that exact set up as fry grow out containers, and hospital tanks. Works great
    Carol

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

kritter keeper $10, penn plax small wonder filter is on sale for $5, petco air pump on sale for $7... it's a good sale online. The heater is expensive, but I just called the LFS and they have a submersible for $13.

They say they've had their current stock of neons for 2 weeks now with no losses. This is a really good store. They don't try to sell you stuff you don't need. Only place I went to that didn't try to sell me Cycle.

Even talk about the biological cycle on their website and if you call them. They are clean and the fish always look healthy.

So if they've had the neons for a couple of weeks in a tank by themselves, is that enough, or do I still need to further quarantine them? They say if I am more comfortable doing it, of course I can, but that in this situation, they don't think it's really necessary.

My husband says to not do the quarantine. He says if I end up with a sick fish, I can set up a quick hospital tank at that time. I pointed out that everything is on sale right now, and so I should go ahead and buy it. Lol - he's not buying it

What do you guys think? If the store has had them for a couple of weeks and they are healthy, do I still need to quarantine?

edit: the lady had a good idea - she said that if I do the quarantine for a couple of weeks, when I do the water changes, take the water from my main tank, and refill that with fresh water instead of the q tank with the fresh water. I knew to do that when I first brought the fish home, but I didn't think of that for the 2 weeks they'd be in the temporary.

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's actually a good idea as long as your main tank is cycled and the nitrates are low. :)
    I'd still quarantine them. Between getting caught, dumped in a bag and a ride home, that's a lot of stress right there. Imo, just enough to weaken them a bit.

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

My tank has been cycled for maybe 6 weeks now, 0,0,5 readings every week.
    Thanks for the advice. :)

16. Kerber23 Member Member

I use a small 2 gal Tub, i have an extra filter, but it breaks alot so i use an airstone powerd sponge filter (also good for egg hatching :D

17. jingles230 Member Member

i currently have a 20 gallon long with 2 twenty gallon filters and my pet store said that if one on my fish gets sick i just need to mix up some saltwater and put in the filter that i have in my tank and it will already have the bactreia that you need all you would need then is the heater and a little critter keeper

18. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

except for the saltwater, that advice is probably good... although if you remove 1/2 your filtration suddenly, you could end up with an ammonia spike in your main tank. And I'd worry about most of the established bacteria from the filter you moved over dying off because the ammonia from 1 sick fish may not be enough to sustain it... ???