Quarantine Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by mmp4, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mmp4Valued MemberMember

From browsing around I see that fish have to be quarantined for some time before being added to my tank. How big does a quarantine tank have to actually be?

2. Nathan chin

Nathan chinValued MemberMember

10 gallon to 20 gallon depends mostly on the size of the fish being quarantined. I use a 10 gallon for small schools I get it does the job done or even just other fish

3. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

I plan on getting shrimp and nano fish. Would a 5g desktop tank be too small?

4. Nathan chin

If it's 5 gal long it should be good, 5 gal high probably wouldn't be big enough

5. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

What kind of nano fish? You could even do quarantine in a Tupperware container if you need to. For quarantine I have a ten gallon tank, bare bottom, and I quarantine for four weeks.

6. KO_

KO_Valued MemberMember

Unless your getting some big fish, 10g is plenty big enough. I have a spare 10g I use, I have two fake plants bare bottom. I have an extra sponge running on my main tank to keep seeded, when I set up the QT I move it over a pop a heater in. Baddabing you got a QT.

7. Nathan chin

Also make sure the tank is cycled

8. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

not completely sure yet, but Im probably some rasboras or tetras. I also like the bumblebee goby

9. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah with those you may want to go with a ten gallon tank, or an equally sized Tupperware container. You will want the quarentine tank to be cycled. What many do is have a sponge filter for the quarentine tank. That sponge filter is put into the already cycled main tank when done with the quarentine tank to maintain the cycle of the sponge filter. This works as long as there aren't any diseases in the quarentine or main tank.

Most tetras aren't really nano fish, even neon tetras need at least a twenty gallon tank for a permanent home due to activity level.

10. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

thats a good idea. thanks

11. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

This may seem like a dumb question, but this is my first time doing this. Can I put the extra sponge filter into my main tank while its being cycled?

12. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

No question is dumb. :)

While your main tank is being cycled? You can put the sponge in your main tank during it's cycling yes. If you do that then the sponge filter will be cycled when your main tank is, then you can put it into the quarentine tank when you get fish. It would be what people call a "instant cycle" then.

If you are talking about the quarentine tank though, then no. You would need the sponge filter to cycle the quarentine tank.

13. Nathan chin

Another solution could be take the filter media from the main and put in the quarantine but it would mean the main tank wouldn't be cycled. You could also add another sponge to the main tank filter which will speed up the cycling then take the sponge and Put it in the quarantine

14. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

Thanks so much. You understood exactly what I was trying to ask...lol.

Someone else suggested that also. Im going to add another sponge to my main tank filter to put in my quarantine when Im ready. When Im done using the sponge in the quarantine can I just put it back into the main tank again?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  15. prengm

prengmValued MemberMember

Nathan Chin is correct the 5 gallon long should be OK I have a 5 1/2 for my exclamation tank and I've acclimated to nine fish three guppies and six white clouds for two weeks without any problems. Just make sure it cycled and you have plenty of water movement.

16. KO_

KO_Valued MemberMember

As long as you didn't find any disease during the quarantine, then that would be fine. You don't want to put a contaminated filter back to your main tank.

17. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I have a whole rack of quarantine tanks. 2x20g longs,2x40g breeders, and a row of 10g tanks.

If they're all in use I use storage totes/bins, they serve the same purpose and I just take some floss out of a trickle tower when needed to have an established filter. I keep things in quarantine longer than most so thats the main reason for the rack. Before I had dedicated aquariums I used storage bins and buckets exclusively. There's no need to spend a lot of money unless you're rotating or getting new stock very frequently

18. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

That makes me feel better. Im already spending tons just getting my tank started then I learned about having to quarantine fish and thought I needed to put more money out. It was getting a bit overwhelming. Good to know I can use what I already have on hand. Thanks!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice