Quarantine Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Pishies, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Pishies

Pishies Valued Member Member

If I have a quarantine/hospital tank cycled and running, do I need to keep a fish or 2 in it to keep it cycled?

I imagine you cant keep a tank empty and expect it to stay cycled.

So I need to keep a fish in the quarantine tank to keep it going and add a new fish or sick fish if necessary?

Hope I am making myself understood o_O

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

I run an extra filter on one of my tanks. If I need my quarantine tank I just take the filter off the 90g and put it on the hospital tank and fill it. Instant cycle.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Hi! you will need to provide some sort of ammonia source to keep the bacteria fed. Either a few drops of ammonia or a sprinkling of fish food will do the trick - hope that helps :)

4. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I do this too.

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I have sponge like filters which are not really sponges but plastic boxes that allow you to put whatever you want inside of them so I just add some cycled media from my tank. The cases are pretty cheap, just a buck and they are air driven.
    Even then I am not that big of a fan of quarantine (to actually do a correct quarantine that will make a difference takes quite a bit of resources which sadly I dont have) so I dont find myself using them much.

6. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]
    I am currently seeding a giant sponge filter with my 3 Jebo power filters and I dose daily with Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride, which is cheap, only $1,99.

No fish and all 4 filters stay seeded.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice