Quarantine tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by mdlc805, Jul 28, 2015.

1. m

mdlc805 Valued Member Member

So I learned my lesson to not take fish straight from the lfs and put them right in tank. Long story short got a yellow tang from lfs ended up having marine velvet and wrecked my whole tank. So my question is in a quarantine tank what do I need? here's a list from what I found online.

Tank
    Heater
    Powerhead
    Hob filter with no carbon
    Pvc so fish can hide

Is that it or does it need more.
    Also when I bring a fish home how long should it be in quarantine and should it be medicated before putting in tank just in case?
    Thanks in advance

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Your list of equipment for the QT should be fine. I would do a bare bottom setup with no live rock so you have a more exact amount of water to make treatment more easy. Having a bare bottom setup also lets you keep the tank cleaner by siphoning out detritus instead of having it settle on the sand/rock.

The fish should be quarantined for, in my opinion with saltwater fish, 4-6 weeks before being added to the DT. I wouldn't do any medication unless they start showing any symptoms of disease. You would be putting unnecessary stress on the fish by medicating them.

By the way, sorry for your loss with the tank. Don't let it discourage you!

3. OP
    OP
    m

Does the qt need to be running 24/7 like dt or when I bring a fish home do water change and use water out of my dt to fill qt

4. LiterallyHydro

I would personally use the water change water from your DT so you don't need to acclimate the fish when they go into your main tank. The filter media will need to stay wet and have a constant source of ammonia to prevent a cycle in the QT. I would run the HOB filter on your DT and move it to the QT whenever you get a new fish to quarantine.

5. OP
    OP
    m

Ok and if the fish does happen to have a disease would treating it also kill anything that might get into that hob filter wouldn't wanna put it back and infect display tank if so what should I do with hob filter

6. LiterallyHydro

A thorough rinsing should do the trick. But if you really want to be safe about it you could always just dose ammonia in the QT when there's no fish to maintain the cycle.

7. OP
    OP
    m

Ok cool so when all levels are back to normal pop it back In display tank and repeat process as needed

8. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. SOmething i need to start doing, saving my filters instead of having to do so many PWC to recycle a tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice