Quarantine Tank Size

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It depends on the fish. Quarantine should always be heated (depends on the fish), filtered & cycled. IMO quarantine should be only a little smaller than the main tank, 'cause you'll want to keep them in there for around ten weeks.

Fishlover832

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My qt tank is 10 gallons, which I use when I buy 5 or 6 or some fish. A few days ago I bought 20 rummynose tetras and I knew they wouldn't fit in the 10 gallon tank so I setup a 55 gallon tank. Any size really works as long as it's not too small. Just the remember the bigger the tank, the more of medicine you will need if they get sick.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
It depends on the fish. Quarantine should always be heated (depends on the fish), filtered & cycled. IMO quarantine should be only a little smaller than the main tank, 'cause you'll want to keep them in there for around ten weeks.
Where dovyou get 10 weeks from. 2 weeks is usually long to diagnose and treat any problems if there is any.

As fot size 10 to 15g is enough, most fish will be fine in a smaller tank as long as you keep the water clean and its cycled.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
smee82 said:
Where dovyou get 10 weeks from. 2 weeks is usually long to diagnose and treat any problems if there is any.

As fot size 10 to 15g is enough, most fish will be fine in a smaller tank as long as you keep the water clean and its cycled.
The longer they in, the less likely they are going to transfer disease. While I do agree that 10 weeks is a little excessive, I'd aim for a month personally.

Letsfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My QT is 10 gallons and I use it for new arrivals,which usually spend 4/5 weeks there.I have an AC20 with a pre-sponge on the intake along with another small air driven sponge filter.I have had 12 fish in there without any problem but they were small tetra`s and cory`s.I do a 50% weekly water change.With infection and disease I treat them at the source With all new arrivals the tank gets 5 ml of Paraguard for stress and any possible infections and that has worked out well for me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom